Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Synopsis anyone?

2»

Comments

• now that is peculiar, I have never had Word do that to me. I just wrote a story and it indented perfectly, no additional lines. I think it might have something to do with hard returns, actually.
  • It's in the drop down list of the 'para'> 'line-spacing> button. I am so embarrassed: it's just 'there' 'add space before para' or 'add space after para'

Read the instructions, PBW! Read the instructions! You'll find it helps.
  • We've got OFFICE WORD 2007 and the line pacing part of the paragraph section of the toolbar includes options like add space before para and add space after para, which can be turned off.

I can't remember which American editor/agent it was, but I remember reading in their blog on synopses about the white space feature and how attractive it is to the reader. Sure it's the content of the synopsis which is critical, but the form carries impact on these impressionable editors, as you will know, Dorothy. Apparently there needs to be a nice proportion of white space on a page of text to prevent it from becoming overwhelming. This is annoying when you need to include the vitally important bones of a whole novel on one page; I suppose the trick is to sacrifice the right bits to secure a good appearance.
  • Writing Magazine May 2011 pages 14/15 – How to write your synopsis.
  • It would have been good if they'd included some sample ones. Here's a link to some I found - http://www.charlottedillon.com/SynopsisSamples.html
  • Sometimes you wonder why you read WM... everything you need to know is out there on the web. I agree they should have included samples.