Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Horrible Histories

pbwpbw
edited September 2010 in - Resources
Does anybody watch Horrible Histories on BBC One at about - I dunno - between four and five on a weekday (part of CBBC schedule). I'm not ashamed to admit to it. I've been listening to their rhyming couplets which are fabulous and inspirational. The writing is superb. Have a listen one day.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Yes Pbw, it's a great prog, one of my children hates it at breakfast time as it is so gory but yes its a great way to explain things to children, and to me. We watch it a lot.

edited to say, I've actually learned a few things I didn't know by watching this/listening. Didn't realise just how horrid people were to each other in days gone by.
  • Oh Dora, they were unbelievably horrid. Guy's torture scenes are horrendous. My earl's execution was horrendous and I could go on ... I have more horrors to write about in the future, too. Sadly, we haven't improved much (see my OWC entry)
  • edited September 2010
    My daughter loves Horrible Histories. Always has it on. She has lots of the books,videos and audio books too. Certainly a lot more entertaining than the history we were taught when I was at school.
  • Yep and I love the boudicca song :)

oh and the one that goes ...
    my name is, my name is, my name is Charles II .... love that too.
  • [quote=dorothyd]Oh Dora, they were unbelievably horrid[/quote]

Indeed dorothy they were. What is must have been to have lived in those days? Awful.
  • I have to say that Horrible Histories is my favourite comedy programme at the moment! It's something the whole family can watch together; the humour is very sharp. And the songs are fab; I got my son to put them on all my computer so we can listen to them and we even walk around singing them! Our favourite is the Pachacuti song about the bloodthirsty Incan warlord. The song videos are also very well produced like professional pop videos (eg the Viking soft rock group singing, "You're going to lose your head my friend - literally!").

Dora - I also love the Charles II rap - and the Victorian Invention Song!
  • I also love, Sorry I've Got no Head. Justa comedy prog for children.
  • edited September 2010
    It's wonderful. My boys enjoy it too.
    My favourite bit was the Four Georges singing as a band...:)

And the Stupid Deaths.
  • [quote=dora]my name is, my name is, my name is Charles II .... love that too. [/quote]
    they showed that yesterday - it made me laugh. I like the one about the South American...is he an Inca? about making things out of your enemy's bones. I think alot of it is to do with the presenters - they're so good.
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]the Pachacuti song about the bloodthirsty Incan warlord.[/quote]

That's the one! The Pachacuti warlord! Brilliant!
  • I've read a couple of the Horrid Histories but I've not watched them on the telly. I must do so!
  • edited September 2010
    You will enjoy them Stan. The humour appeals to adults as well as children.
  • edited January 2011
    I see that show just won an award.

Well deserved I think.

Hurray for Horrible Histories.
  • Yes Best Sketch Show at the Comedy Awards. Up against Harry and Paul and Armstrong and Miller. Nice to see them win it.
  • That's very good news, it is well deserved.
  • [quote=SilentTony]Nice to see them win it. [/quote]

yes I was especially pleased, seeing as they were up against such competition
  • Great news - they deserve it.