Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Epiphany

edited October 2010 in - Writing Problems
Well, the title says it all...I have had a seminal moment in my novel writing. I had a brainwave midway through the day yesterday and realised at this point that the direction I was taking my novel was not the way it should be going. I am just glad I didn't get to the end and realise this. I know I need to make it more believeable like this sort of thing could happen and you wouldn't even know about it till it was in the papers. So it will a lot of back tracking and reworking, but I know it has to be done. My character Dorothy agrees ;) She will become more of the sort of little old lady you might see around and about, whilst maintaining this darker side.

Comments

• They are great moments when you experience them- glad it has happened now for you.
  • [quote=robin1]So it will a lot of back tracking and reworking, but I know it has to be done.[/quote]

Congratulations for the brainwave and good luck with the re-write, Robin.
  • better now than when it was finished, Robin, this will give you the confidence to face the rewrite where an entire book would be daunting.
  • Good luck!
  • [quote=dorothyd]better now than when it was finished, Robin, this will give you the confidence to face the rewrite where an entire book would be daunting.[/quote]

Done it, been there, Dorothy. I'm about to start my fourth complete re-write of the whole book. After completing it @ 174,000 words, I realised I had two novels in one (and it was too long to be considered for publishing as a debut novel), so one of the two story lines was expunged. Later, at 85,000 words, I changed the book from third person to first, which is not as easy as it sounds. Then I needed a re-write, page by page, to adopt a teenage viewpoint and voice, while replacing telling with showing. Now the next step will be to plug evry hole inthe plot and make it feasible (while ditching a shed-load of clich
  • changing third to first is tricky, I am currently changing first to third ... which is easier provided I am vigilant for the I and me and myself and such likes ... but I have added a few hundred words already by changing over. The author wants to distance himself and talk about himself in the third person. I have done this twice now and it works.
  • Well done Rob, glad the novels going well and moving in the right direction for you )
    Hope you get the re write done without too much pain
  • Thank you all for your kind words...hopefully it wont be too painful, currently letting it cogitate in my subconscious as I tidy the house.

:)