Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Online shopping for groceries-missing apples!

edited October 2010 in Off-topic
I did another online shop yesterday and once again they had forgotten to put something in, this time it was the apples. I have yet to do a shop online with Sainsburys where they haven't missed putting something in. How do others get on?
BTW I did ring to get the money reimbursed and as compensation I got my delivery charge refunded!

Comments

• I've never used Sainsburys.

Before we got a car we used to get Tesco to deliver and never had a problem. Don't know about Sainsburys, but Tescos often sent us £5 off the next online shop as an incentive.
  • Asda has always been pretty good for me, although one year my christmas shop was missing half the items, they sorted it out and sent it over straight away by taxi.
  • I would be more concerned if my nuts were missing
  • I prefer to go to the supermarket myself and feel everything up before I buy it.

Especially grapes. Can't be doing with a squidgy grape.
  • edited October 2010
    Or a softening cucumber.

Oooh no.
  • Yes I like going myself but I don't drive and OH is in Egypt at the mo.
  • Going food shopping is the high point of my week. I'd hate to miss it.
  • i've used tescos online and they were great apart from once sending rotten steak (they sent out new steak straight away and have me a £7.50 gift card), but much prefer to go to the shop and get it myself, then i know what i'm picking up and buying and i can check it all first
  • Yes - when you can - it is better going in person. Plus, the staff picking the groceries don't really pay attention to which product has the latest sell-by date. Mind, in our Tesco, the people picking grocery orders spend the majority of the time blocking the aisles whilst chatting! That's when they don't notice rotten steak!
  • I remember my (long distance) friend complaining bitterly that she had done online shopping and stipulated No substitutes. When the store, I think it was Tescos, were out of plums and did not not substitute, as ordered, she said 'surely they could have substituted something for the plums!' no pleasing some people ...
  • I normally get an online shop about once a month, tins etc. Always buy meat and veg fresh, but as there is a brilliant butcher in Sherwood and a veg shop just down the road that isn't a problem. As hubby has the car all week it's just easier to get all the tins and the cat food etc delivered.
  • edited October 2010
    I like to check cans to make sure they're not dented. Doesn't work with multi-packs though - I'm sure they put one or two dented ones in each pack deliberately, just to get rid of them!
  • I'm sure you could ring up Jenny and order non dented ones, if these were in a delivery. I would. I never pick dented cans up off the shelf. Just as I wouldn't take a packet of bread that was opened, or a pack of eggs with one cracked.
  • edited October 2010
    Can anyone tell me why milk is soooo cheap at the moment?

I usually buy six pints a day, £2.25.

For ages now all the supermarkets have been selling two x four pints, for £2.00. Eight pints for two pounds.

This answer on google = Contributing to the low price is an oversupply of milk and decreasing international exports

is that right?
  • My last order from Asda, one of my three packs of coconut pieces was missing.
    On one occasion I had two bags of new potatoes that I hadn't ordered in my bag.
    I think sometimes bags get shifted during the packing and items can slip out and get put in a different bag- usually in someone else's order...
  • [quote=Sagesse] the people picking grocery orders spend the majority of the time blocking the aisles whilst chatting! [/quote]

That might be your answer!!
  • [quote=Carol]sometimes bags get shifted during the packing and items can slip out [/quote]

Have you seen some of those maniac van drivers rounding a corner? No wonder stuff falls out the boxes.
  • They don't do the shopping in the store, that's for people who pick up in store. The orders are done from the warehouse at the back of the store where we are.
  • in our Tescos they do the shopping in the store. Each trolley has six baskets on it and they go around packing six orders. Not seen anyone talking but - because it is getting so popular now, at times it feels as if the instore shoppers outnumber the 'ordinary' customers who are fighting to get past the damn things. They, combined with shelf stacking trolley things, cause major obstructions!
  • When we're shopping in Asda you see set staff going round with their boxes and plastic bags (on a moveable unit) and a hand held device taking the items for home delivery off the shelves.
  • I did actually see staff being very picky this morning (Tescos) with what was going in the trolleys, they were putting things back and choosing others.
  • That's good.
    No apple bobbing for me tomorrow as I have no apples :(
  • Just realised they have sent the wrong yogurt too. I have Soya plain and they have sent vanilla which I hate as it is so sweet. I didn't notice it before. No yogurt and fruit for my pud now.:(
  • Is there anything you could put in the yoghurt that would tone the sweetness down a bit?
  • That's it, it's a sign. You're just going to have to eat a chockie bickie instead :-)
  • Sagesse how did you guess!?
  • So you didn't want to put salt in your vanilla yoghurt? :)
  • I will have to throw that away. No one here to eat it. Shame.
  • You could put it on ebay!
  • Or you could crack an egg into it - et voila - hair conditioner!
  • Or vanilla-flavoured omelette!
  • edited November 2010
    does anyone know why Morrisons don't do online shopping? Are they really going to sit back and let everyone else steal that market? Seems a bit stupid, bit like Royal Mail not getting into the email business (communication is communication however you do it) and admitting they didn't think of it ...
  • Apparently they are going to 'trial' it next year sometime - that's all I have heard about it though.
  • I online shop from Tesco's every week (it is cheaper to pay delivery than drive to the store). I am very happy with the service. I save so much time doing it this way too and have got to know all the drivers who are a lovely bunch. You get odd times when you think the person packing was probably a 16 year old who had never managed a house (bayonet light bulbs sent in place of screw fitting, body spray sent as substitute for mouthwash) but it you ring to complain they sort out out very quickly.
  • Body spray instead of mouthwash? Were they trying to poison you? :)
  • I shop mostly at Sainsbury's but occasionally I get money off a big shop from Tesco. Yesterday, the aisles were full of Tesco staff doing orders for on line shopping it was chaotic. I haven't noticed this so much at Sainsbury's.
  • [quote=B Darter] I haven't noticed this so much at Sainsbury's. [/quote]

Maybe they do it very secretly when you're around.
  • Possibly Dora. Or perhaps the aisles are bigger and they are not so noticeable.
    I have a mental sat nav when I am in the supermarket guiding me up and down the aisles. (I know you all feel sorry for me). Is anyone else this daft?
  • Yes BD, that's like me too.
  • I lose my bearings if I go along an aisle the opposite way to usual!