Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

No Place Like Home

edited November 2010 in - Writing Problems
I'm writing a story about moving house and wondered what sort of items would you unpack first to make your new place feel like home and no, I don't mean just putting the kettle on - any idea would be a great help - thanks

Comments

• first things i unpacked were kettle, cups etc to make a drink, then unpacked the duvet and made sure the bed was made up. got the bits in the bathroom out so i could soak in the bath and hung up clothes so i didn't have to re iron them
  • Get the computer set up as soon as possible.
  • Family photos, especially kids. That way there is a bridge from the old to the new because this constant touches both. It also make a new place feel warm and homely before you've even unpacked.
  • after kettle tea and biscuits etc, cleaning stuff, so I couls make sure it was clean to MY standards, especially bath and loo (if I hadn't been able to get in before moving day) then bed so it was clean and fresh and ready for when I collapsed after teh rigours of moving
  • edited November 2010
    We moved in just before Christmas. I unpacked the Christmas Tree and decorations and the box with the wine glasses in...sad but true.

If it hadn't have been Christmas, it would still have been wine glasses, but then ornaments (partner is South African so we have wooden carvings, nice candles etc) and lamps (I hate bright overhead lights!) and the softer the lighting the better I look :-)
  • The phone to order a takeaway.
  • I like the idea of wood carvings, that's the sort of thing I am thinking of, somethng you treasure and take with you from house to house,something that you wouldn't dream of throwing out before the moved however old it is.

Stan/LeeH you have your priorities right:)
  • Just remembered. If they have a pet - they may get out a few of their pets things, like basket/blanket, food bowls etc. In our case it was the litter tray, since he wasn't allowed out straight away!
  • [quote=niddy]Stan/LeeH you have your priorities right[/quote]

Those two should get together and write superhero comics.
  • lmao Tony
  • [quote=niddy]I'm writing a story about moving house and wondered what sort of items would you unpack first to make your new place feel like home and no, I don't mean just putting the kettle on - any idea would be a great help - thanks [/quote]

When I was single and moved house one of the first things I unpacked was the hi-fi so I could listen to music while unpacking everything else!
  • The computer and the dictionary for writing (of course) so I suppose anyone with a hobby/obsession that was very important to them would unpack what they needed for that. If their interest is something a bit odd that would help you establish their character.

Family pictures might be important, especially if this was the first time the person lived alone, or if they'd moved a long way from loved ones.

Personally Lee's suggestion sounds pretty good. I'd need to unpack the plates and glasses too - can't be doing with plastic ones.
  • I've moved a few times and the first things I unpack are the kettle and cups for a cuppa and cleaning stuff like dusters, cloths, bleach rubber gloves etc as I like to clean the cupboards to my standards, before I put things away, oh and the toilet!
  • thanks for all the suggestions, now have a plan