Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I hate captcha words

edited November 2010 in Off-topic
I have been trying to send an online enquiry on a web site and when I press continue it says captcha word incorrect but it is not! Very annoying as now I can't send my enquiry which took ages to write.

Comments

• There should be a refresh icon that will change the captcha word, but that sometimes loses your text, or form details so copy your text first, just in case. (Speaks from experience!)
  • No can't see a refresh icon thanks anyway.
  • That's strange. Don't think I've ever seen Captcha without it, the circular arrow...
  • No there is no arrow. I'll leave it and try again later.
  • You should be able to refresh using F5
  • I find this problem with it not being read when you've put in what you see the letters as. Sometimes two letters will be close together and sometimes the following one alters the look of the preceding one- so it is hard to put in the right letter...
  • Thanks Jediya I wil try that later.

I have that problem too Carol I hate the things.
  • I've never seen one that wasn't able to refresh. If in doubt press the talk button to listen to the letters instead.
  • There is nothing to click on at all as far as I can see.
    There is a new captcha word and still nothing. Take a look.

http://www.seftonarts.co.uk/feedback_form
  • Clicking the refresh button at the top of the screen , or F5 as jediya says, does give you a new word but it also seems to wipe out what you've input. The words look quite clear to me so if you're getting an error when you think you've typed in the right thing it looks like there's an error on the page.
    You're not leaving a space between the word and the numbers are you? (Sorry if that sounds patronising - not meant to - but it's the sort of thing I do!)
  • I'll echo that, it does look like the clearest captcha I've ever seen. It's annoying that it wipes the input but if you copy it should be okay.
  • No I'm not leaving a space. Oh I give up with it.
  • edited November 2010
    Our local message board has captchas that are sometimes quite hard to work out. The letters/numbers usually overlap each other and are on a randomly patterned background.

And I didn't even know they were called captchas until I clicked on Kateyanne's link! :rolleyes:
  • The term CAPTCHA (for Completely Automated Public Turing Test To Tell Computers and Humans Apart) was coined in 2000 by Luis von Ahn, Manuel Blum, Nicholas Hopper and John Langford of Carnegie Mellon University.

Which I just found out!
  • It's nice to learn something new!
  • Well I never, learned something today.

Why do you have to write the enquiry letter again? Can't you just highlight it, pick it up and put it on your desktop and put it back in the box next time?
  • Hi Liz yes I did save it and will try again tomorrow.
  • [quote=Jenny] I didn't even know they were called captchas until I clicked on Kateyanne's link[/quote]

Me neither. I thought it was something to do with poetry.

;)
  • Or bad spelling!
  • I've just tried to leave a comment on BBs blog and had to fill in the captcha words. I tried 15 times without success and I know I was writing them correctly. Fed up with these things...
  • ME TOO! That happens to me on Blogger! I hate it too. SO frustrating.
  • But usually, only on blogger.
  • edited March 2012
    I just noticed recently that there is an option on Blogger to remove Captcha thing from comments on your own blog, so I did.

But I can't find where I did it again now!
  • Problem with removing the capcha words is you can get lots of spam.

I have an e-mail address on the blog, it's shown with 'AT' to replace the @.
    Now I've had this since I set the blog up 18 months ago, and have never received spam e-mails- on Monday I had three. The e-mail address doesn't appear anywhere else except on the blog.

The Bookseller started having a problem with spam comments, so they've now moved to a system that uses both captcha and first registering to comment.

Rosalie it's somewhere in the settings.
  • I've just removed it on my Blog. One click and it was done.
  • And now it's gorn!
  • Thanks BB will go and try to add my comment now!
  • Received the first Spam on there during the night, so I'll monitor it.
  • Wish there was another option you could use. They've made captchas a lot more difficult to read over the years, trying to stay one step ahead of people developing tools that could read and automatically bypass the simple ones but they're just too awkward now. I've even had them appear as Greek letters which – by a process of trial and error - I now realise you're expected to visually translate into latin characters, so for example omega becomes O. Very very frustrating!
  • I find the problem with the new captcha words is when two letters are so close together it looks like another letter entirely. So I just use the little round arrow thing until I find one I can read and produce.
  • I do that too Carol, but on Blogger, after doing that twice, it asks you if you want to do it by ear - me, thinking this would be easier tried that. OMG! It was someone speaking underwater and through a cushion. It said, just guess if you can't hear it. So on two, i guessed. Then it says, sorry, you didn't get them right. Arrrrggghh!
  • [quote=Liz!]on Blogger, after doing that twice, it asks you if you want to do it by ear[/quote]
    I just ignore that. :)
  • That's where Wordpress has one over Blogger - no captcha (didn't know it was called that, and how annoying is that word!!!) and a really effective spam filter.
  • The no Captcha is why I chose them.
  • Captcha? how could they call it that? And I can't read the damn things anyway.
    I do enough squinting at the screen as it is without being forced to do it just to leave a remark/
    Can someone please tell me if it's necessary to use one on my blog, and if so how do I stop it?
    http://lizy-expat-writer.blogspot.com/
  • You don't have to use it on your blog, but you might get spam posts, so you'll need to monitor it to see if it's an issue or not.
  • Why does Captcha need a 't', that''s what I want to know. If you have to make up a word, at least make it - what's that word? - pronounced as it's spelt...
  • They've obviously taken the first part of caption, but what the cha stands for I've no idea...:)
  • I assumed it was a play on 'capture' - but not sure...
  • That would be logical, Rosalie.
  • Captcha was devised by a fiend, IMHO. Every time I post on Facebook I get this messed up ramble to decipher.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Received the first Spam on there during the night, so I'll monitor it. [/quote]

I think I've had a total of three since turning captcha off. And Blogger has binned it all - I haven't had to do anything.