Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Park Publications - Scribble, Countryside Tales, Debut

edited November 2010 in - Resources
Has anyone ever entered a competition for any of these publications? If so, I'm interested to know how you got on.

Does anyone subscribe and what do you think of the publications?

Only asking because I am considering entering their competitions, and wondering whether to subscribe or not.

Thanks.

Comments

• I entered the 'Countryside Tales' short story competition this spring, on the theme 'A country story'
    I won £75 (out of 94 entries) and the story came out in their summer anthology
  • PS If you intend to enter more than one comp a year with any of their publications, then it's worth subscribing. A subscription to one magazine (mine to Countryside Tales) will give you free entry to comps in any of their others
  • hey well done ceka.

Dora, I'm sure you can get a free copy of their mag to see what kind of stuff is included - good luck
  • I entered a poem in the spring comp but no joy:(
  • entered one of their short story comps some time in summer (your summer that is), but no joy :(
  • I had a go at Park publications a few years ago. Didn't get anywhere.
  • Hmm.

You lot ain't exactly filling me with hope. :) I mean, YOU lot can write and if they won't accept your work ... hmm.
  • I started writing something for one of Countryside Tales' competitions. I never finished it but it's really provoked a lot of emotion in me. If they run the same theme next year I'll enter it. They seem to like unusual and slightly spooky - which is what intrigued me. My story is based on something my Dad told me that happened during the war when they used to travel between farms, plus a little bit of magic.

Go for it Dora.
  • [quote=LilyC]They seem to like unusual and slightly spooky -[/quote]

Now THAT is right up my street Lily. :) I may well give it a go, thanks.
  • I wrote an article a while back. Not heard a dickiesplat.
  • Mine was a bog-standard (but rejected) Womag story!
  • Diverse!
  • Oh blimey ceka! :(
  • Child Lily, explain yourself
    You wish me to become Diverse?
    I wrote some horrid stuff when I was younger. Nightmares. But nobody wanted that, so I became Tame.
    But the Wolf and the Wild Owl are always lurking at the back of my mind, dear Child Lily. One day I should let you into the Mews of my Mind to have a rummage ...
  • No my dear Ceka. I'm saying they are a publication that seems to appreciate diverse genres. 'Twasn't an order!

However, do rummage and divest yourself of dark thoughts. I shall welcome them...
  • I've had a story in Countryside Tales. It was about tractor rage!
  • I've subscribed to Countryside Tales for a few years. I have had a couple of articles in it.
  • I subscribe to Debut and Scribble. Both are good quality mags and good value for money. I have sent two stories to Debut and the critiques from the editor have been very helpful.
  • 75quid!!!

I think you out earned most of us last year, well done Cekastress
  • Well I'm gonna have to pay the taxman, Lee, which naffs me off!