Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Self-publishing

edited December 2010 in - Resources
In the past I have dismissed self-publishing, thinking in my big-headed way, that if my book wasn't good enough to be accepted by a publisher who would pay me, then so be it. However, I have had a change of heart, though I put the idea on the backburner until seeing the advertisement inside the front cover of the latest issue of Writing magazine, which no doubt you have all seen. Now I am thinking differently, now I am thinking that it's a way for someone who is passionate about their book, who believes in it and themselves, to get into print, especially at a time of economic doom and gloom when you have to be exceptional to be accepted by agents/publishers.
So, I would like to know what others think?

Comments

• Welcome to TB.
    If you go to SEARCH and put in self publishing, you will find loads of threads where we have turned this subject over and inside out! You will find masses of good advice there, lots of discussions for and against.
  • I believe that you have to be exceptional to get published anyway.

Is there a specific reason that the manuscript has been rejected? Do you belong to a critique group/writers circle? There are many self-publishing companies that prey on the frustrations of new writers. I know because I nearly fell into the trick, then I used YWO and realised that it was the manuscript and not the agents.
  • There are advantages and disadvantages to self publishing. It's not something I want to do at present, but I'm sure it works for some writers.
  • I agree with PM.

There's a difference between a publisher rejecting a manuscript because it's poor and because it's just not interested in the topic. However, if the second's the case you have to be certain enough readers will be interested!

Being passionate about your subject may not be enough.
  • Welcome cloudwatcher! :)
    The publishing landscape has changed and is changing, with many more options for writers. But you really should do your research. Are you writing fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a platform to promote your book, or are you only interested in having a few printed copies for friends and family?

Here's a link that might help: http://www.writersservices.com/wps/s_for_you.htm
  • I ran a series on self-publishing on my blog - writers real-life experiences (good and bad) of taking the self-publishing route. A couple of Talkbackers also contributed and I covered all genres.
    http://talltalesandshortstories.blogspot.com/
    If you scroll down to the labels section beneath the blog award on the right you'll find the self-publishing link.

Tracy :)
  • edited December 2010
    I started my own publishing company a few years back and it was quite successful.

But I have boxes of unsold books in my bedroom that I am sick of the sight of.

It is easy enough to produce the books - get the ISBN (I have 7 left) and send the completed work to the printer's. I used a local magazine distributor to get my first effort (a novelty Newcastle United book) into 300 outlets from Berwick to Sunderland (it wasn't a big seller in the latter of these :D). As well as this I delivered copies myself to local Asdas, Waterstone's, Smith's, HMV and local independent booksellers, as well as pubs and market stalls. It was hectic but enjoyable and immensely satisfying.

On the back of all this was the publicity campaign. I opted for the angle of a bloke who was made redundant and now on the dole taking a massive gamble by borrowing money to publish a book. It worked like a charm and I had the local TV, radio and newspapers calling. So I would advise you to look carefully for any angle that you think might prick up the ears of the media.

One Saturday morning I got a call from my hub at Asda. "I've got a cheque for you," he said. I made arrangements to collect it from Newcastle later that morning. On my way down to the car I opened my mail box and there were several envelopes inside. These included the following:

Cheque from Bookworld: £300
    Cheque from Smith's £3,500
    Cheque from HMV £10,000

And the one I collected from Asda was for over £6,000.

I've had worse days. I still look at the stubs from my paying in book...

And I sigh :D
  • Read about it here if you are interested.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Book's+a+nice+little+earner+for+Toon+fan-a0111134798
  • I would suggest that the basic advice on self-publishing has to be don't do it - unless your book is one of the exceptions. If it's a local history or it has a clearly defined niche market which you can reach with a couple of well placed adverts, then self-pub may be the best option. But generally, for a novel, it's probably best not to go that route. Certainly not without doing your homework first. First step is to be absolutely sure that you ms is as good as it can possibly be. And then take a look at the books you'll be listed alongside on self-publishers catalogues. ill they help yours to get noticed? There is some good stuff out there but there is also a lot of, well, garbage. I while back I did a few reviews for a self-pub magazine and I saw some decent, almost-got-there material and some pretty awful stuff. Buy a few at random and see wha\t you think.
    How many copies will you sell - with you doing all the legwork, of course? And when you start approaching agents and publishers with your next, will your self-published book open doors for you? Not if you have only sold a few copies, it won't.
    If you are really sure you have worked out your plan thoroughly then go for it. But first seriously consider spending the amount you might invest on self pub on professional editing services instead.
  • Good luck with whatever you decide. Much of the advice given above should help you a lot- Tracey's series of interviews especially as they come from writers who have learnt from experience.
  • COS that is amazing! Did you really get those cheques?
  • edited December 2010
    Writers Forum mag have an article on self publishing every month it's very helpful.
  • edited December 2010
    [quote=kateyanne]COS that is amazing! Did you really get those cheques?[/quote]

Yes I did :)

As the manager of that HMV said they were shifting about 150 a day and I was reeling in £2.00 from each sale. They were in two HMVs - Newcastle and the Metro Centre

The local TV news crew interviewed me and then went to Waterstone's in the Metro Centre and I have the priceless footage on tape of the manager saying that, although it has only been on sale for two days, my book is outselling everything else in the shop and the examples she gives of what I was ahead of are Eats, Shoots and Leaves and Martin Johnson. Quite a memento.

I might add that the day after my first TV interview I came home and there was a calling card under my front door from an Inland Revenue investigator :D Doesn't take them long.
  • Did you do a follow up book to that?
  • Well, cos, did you?
  • I did 3 books in total - they sold 30,000, 10,000 and 15,000 copies.

Oddly enough I got a call last week from a printing firm who asked if my publishing company was still going. It's not but I got his details because I have always fancied going back into it if I find the time - probably not on the scale of my first effort, but hopefully enough to pay the bills. I have a couple of similar books written, but not on football. The main problem is the gamble of paying for books to be printed and then hoping to shift them, although this printer I spoke to the other day can do runs of only 500 books so it may be worth looking into.
  • I'd say go furrit.
  • Splendid story, COS - actually does change my opinion of self-publishing a little too - you must have been very confident - seen and taken the chance that a niche existed for your novelty book - and you targeted and marketed and WORKED VERY HARD to achieve what you did. But for me - I do fiction - I still don't like the self-publishing route.
    I do get the impression that for 'novelty' books as yours was, self-publishing is a perfectly good road to take. You've proved it works for you - good for you, what about doing another one?
  • Thanks Ceka. Your point about the difference between fiction and novelty is a very important one. Mine was a Christmas stocking-filler with a feel-good element so it sold well, but fiction has far more beraring on the personal taste of the reader. If I were ever to write a work of fiction (some hope) I wouldn't self-publish even though I have the experience and contacts etc. It's a whole different ball game.

I did another two books that sold 10k and 15k. I am thinking of updating and reissuing my original one for next Christmas, although I would not go in with such a large print order.
  • GO FOR IT!