Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

When is an author a published author?

edited December 2010 in - Writing Problems
Can someone clarify the following point? The rules on a recent short story competition stated that it was open to non-published authors only. Since I have had some work published in a local newspaper would this exclude me from entering said competition? I recall reading somewhere that an author was only termed published when an ISBN number had been assigned to their work. Is this right? Hope someone can help! Thanks.

Comments

• I would say that made you a published writer, but not a published author - although I'm sure that's open to debate.
    There's no definition in law of what is or isn't a published author, so their small print really should define what it means to them in more detail.
    Which comp was it?
  • You could be a multi-published author for magazines, journals and newspapers and not have an ISBN to your name if you have never published a book. Having material in a local newspaper could well disqualify you for the comp you mention. Best to check it with organisers.
  • In this context is it possible that author refers to fiction, but writer would be used for non-fiction?
  • edited December 2010
    Does winning or being a runner-up in competitions count as being published when the work has appeared in magazines or anthologies (without ISBN numbers)?
  • I think it does, Jenny.
  • Unless the rules state differently, then I imagine being published in a newspaper would mean you couldn't enter. It might be worth clarifying with them though, if there are contact details as opinions on what counts as published vary widely.

Personally, I think if work has been selected for publication either in print, or electronically then the writer is a published author.
  • If there is prize money in the competition, my guess is an author who has been paid for their work. There are loads of small mags wanting to fill their pages, and accept articles, stories, poems, etc but do not have the finance to pay. If we are going to be picky about publishing, then surely having a letter published makes you an author? If you win the Star Prize in Writers News/ Mag, does that make you an 'author.'? I agree, it needs clarification. For example I am entering the Readers Digest 100 word (exact) competition,. BUT, do the 100 words INCLUDE the title? If,yes, it could mean your was eliminated. So I phoned and they confirmed it excludes the title. If in doubt CHECK.....and good luck
  • Check ... that's an excellent idea.
    Cheque ... that's an even better one
    Personal opinion: I consider myself published only since I appeared IN PRINT and PAID for it
    Paying to get into print wasn't what I wanted - anyone can do that
    Putting work on the internet wasn't what I wanted - anyone can do that
    I wanted some editor to like my work enough to send me money to buy the product. And fortunately for me, about 7 editors have done just that. I don't care if 'proper' writers think it's crap, it's paid-for and I've been to New Zealand on the proceeds so that kind of crap I can deal with thank you very much.
    However, I doubt my novels will ever be published - sob - tough luck, that's life. If I die before my star rises, so be it. I've tried and am still trying and have enjoyed the journey so far, the novel on the shelf would just be the (oh very welcome) icing on the Lit Cake
    I think I've gone a bit off topic ... sorry chaps
  • [quote=ceka]Paying to get into print wasn't what I wanted - anyone can do that[/quote]

Totally agree.
  • Interesting interpretations. I've never written a book so consider myself a published writer, not a published author. The two terms have different meanings as far I'm concerned.
  • That was just what I was thinking Claudia.
  • Aaagh! I'm confused! But thanks for all the input. I can't remember which competition it was - when I saw that rule I just carried on to the next comp - but, in future, I will certainly phone and find out.

Many thanks everyone.
  • Claudia, You ARE an author. Oxford English Dictionary: ' 1. a writer of a book or article.' Unfortunately, it can also apply to 'authors' like Jordan, Wayne Rooney, etc, viz '2.a person who originates a plan or idea.' I used it when disputing with her agent and publisher the idea Gerry Halliwell WROTE all those childrens' stories.
  • Author means the first person who wrote the article or anything, published writer means take the written content from writer, he will give and publish it.
  • What? Don't understand that it doesn't make sense.

I think a published author or writer is someone who has been PAID for their work.

Otherwise you'd be taking in people who had put stuff in the parish magazine and things like that.
  • I'd agree with Liz! I think being paid is the key - no matter how worthy the work. I'd had work 'printed' in a variety of formats when I was younger but that isn't the same.