Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Novel writing one-day workshop in Derby

edited December 2010 in - Resources
Hi All,

There is a workshop at Mackworth Library in Derby with Martin Davies in January.

Saturday 29 January 10am to 3.45pm: Novel-Writing Starter Kit with Martin Davies
One day creative writing workshop

Are you keen to write a novel but not sure where to start? Do you have a story to tell or a brilliant idea you've always wanted to put down on paper? Or would you just like some tips about writing full-length fiction and some ideas about how to get started? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", you need Martin Davies' Novel-Writing Starter Kit!

Starting a novel can be a daunting business. Martin’s one-day workshop will help you address some of the challenges of novel-writing – from planning and structure to plot and characterisation. Most of all, it will help you tackle some of those anxieties that make it so hard to get started. Highly interactive, the workshop will encourage you to pick up a pen and get writing in a fast, fun - yet always reassuring - environment. And there'll be plenty of time for questions and for sharing tips and learning from others.

Martin Davies’ novels have been published in the US and Europe as well as in the UK. His UK debut, The Conjuror's Bird, was featured by the Richard & Judy Book Club and was nominated for Read of The Year at the British Book Awards. His most recent novel, The Unicorn Road, was chosen as one of The Times WH Smith Paperbacks Of The Year. His next novel, Hannesford, is due out in May.

Venue: Mackworth Library

Cost: £25, includes tea and coffee throughout the day. Booking essential.

To book a place or for more information telephone 01332 642410 or 01332 641727 or email [email protected]

Comments

• thanks for the info. Too far for me ...
  • Near enough, but I'm actually at a club lunch that day.
  • Too far for me too thanks anyway, looks good
  • I've signed up for this - thanks for the info!
  • I could get to Derby, and maybe meet up with my best friend afterwards as she lives in Derby. But I am not too sure it would be useful for myself. Thanks for the info!
  • Just returned from this - a really good day!
  • Sounds good Sally.

Did you learn anything?
  • Glad you had a good day,sallyj.
    Anything worth reporting back to us ?
  • Sounds like you had a good day.
  • I learnt that in order to be a writer YOU HAVE TO WRITE! (not just think you would you like to do it). Writing is a habit and the more you do the easier it will become. Commit to doing a few 15 minute chunks per week - that is much more achievable than trying to write all day every Sunday.
    Don't aim for anything too complex with your first novel - why make life hard the first time?
    Plan the main events & milestones in your story - but allow yourself to change them as go along.
    Little can be more in descriptions - just a few small points will allow the reader to paint their own image.
    Don't worry about failure (something all of us around the table were feeling) - the only failure for a writer is not to write.

I will be putting more about this on my blog later in the week and will flag it up here.
  • edited January 2011
    Sounds good, Sally. The 15 minutes a day sounds like great advice.
  • [quote=sallyj]the only failure for a writer is not to write.[/quote]
    I like that.