Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rules for writing fiction

edited January 2011 in - Resources
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/20/ten-rules-for-writing-fiction-part-one

Apologies if Carol has already posted this link.

Comments

• think we've seen it before but doesn't matter, always worth a read. But - how much of it is opinion!!! The most wonderful book I own, The Sojourner by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, begins with weather and it is so atmospheric, so scene setting, so - needed for the start of the book it is untrue. Take note, Mr. Leonard, the author of The Yearling knew a thing or to about storytelling. I have read the book about six times and still lose myself totally in its flow and storytelling magic.
  • Always good to revisit things Jenny.
    Many of the newer TB's may not have seen it before.
  • Agree with Dorothy, these are interesting points but opinions only. Plenty of successful authors break these rules. The trouble with new writers reading this is it hamstrings their creativity from the outset.
  • Agree wholeheartedly with that, FT. Every writer should pour out the story in their own way, not think 'oh, that author doesn't do it so I mustn't' - like breaking all the rules in a short story. I just placed one which is stream of consciousness - no punctuation to speak of. It's now been 'aired' twice. It breaks the rules. I could not write it any other way.
  • edited January 2011
    The most important aspect of any story is that it should hold the reader's attention.
  • Actually I think rules are often good for new writers. When I started, I was aware of the many different genres and styles and had no idea what I wanted to do. Having a writing tutor set rules helped me focus. She (and many other people) say learn the rules, then learn when to break them. I think that's good advice.
  • And I started out alone with no guidance beyond my wide reading, I made dozens of mistakes and wrote 11 novels before someone suggested I might be more suited to short stories ... BANG! instant change of fortune. Perhaps some of us no matter what we think we want to do, are just better at something else. Maybe I'm destined only ever to be a short story writer! I've read the rule books now but more than that I've read the target mags I write for and aim at them in my own fashion, I reckon at least that gives me a fighting chance in a tough competitiive marketplace. Seems to work for me and if I applied myself more and more often, maybe I'd up the output and as you know, more output inevitably is going to lead to more acceptances.
    [quote=Jenny]The most important aspect of any story is that it should hold the reader's attention. [/quote]
    That is EXACTLY what any story should do. Trouble is - all readers are different ...
  • You can please some of the people some of the time ....!! :)