Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help---time frame transitions

edited January 2011 in - Writing Problems
In my next class /writing, we will be discussing a way to make transitions from one time frame to the next, in a story or novel.
And how we construct the 'mini-stories' that occupy the time frames that I introduce?

Are there specific ways to do this, a standard procedure, a given formatt?

Most grateful for any help

Comments

• The simplest way is to just leave a blank line and jump to the next time period - possibly starting the next section with something like, "The following week ..." to let the reader know that time has passed.

Alternatively, mention the seasons or events such as Easter and Christmas to give an idea of time passing.

I'd be wary of writing too much in the way of transistions between scenes that don't actually move the story on as they can feel like padding.
  • In novels you don't have to have (or need) a transitional scene, because the preceding scenes in your novel will have set out a chronologiocal order for you. As PM says, it is advised to hint of what may come, without it being too obvious, but don't spoon feed your reader for every one - make them work to enjoy your story.

Take a look at any work of fiction on the shelf and a lot of novels don't have transitional scenes. They weave the context of time passing within the narrative.

"The remainder of my schooldays were no more auspicious that the first"'. This is Harper Lee's rather simple and effective way of traversing several years in the book, To Kill a Mockingbird.
  • Gratefull thanks to Phot's Moll and Red. Will take all on board. Your explanations help so much. I look for THE BIG ANSWER till my brain turns to stew, yes, I throw everything in until my head hurts, then it's too thick to dish up!
  • Try some red wine - that'll make it more digestable.
  • thanks for that PM I shlure will.