Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing Non-Fiction for Children

edited January 2011 in - Resources
For anyone interested in writing non-fiction, I've interviewed Anita Loughrey, she writes a regular column for Writers' Forum and is the author of over 24 non-fiction books for children and teachers.
And for anyone wondering about joining SCBWI, she is also SCBWI's Network Co-ordinator for the London area and explains why joining SCBWI is highly-recommended.

http://talltalesandshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/01/writing-non-fiction-for-children.html

Comments

• Thanks for this I read with interest. I sent off what I thought was a good idea for children, it was part fiction and part non fictin , but educational, it got rejected, but with a very nice letter. I put it away and forgot about it. I do not have any teaching experiance, so may be thats what let me down. I might get it all out again, and have another lok at it. I am also going to look into the SCBWI, is anyone on here a member?
  • Hi Jennymf
    I'm a member of SCBWI and would heartily recommend joining. :)
    And Anita's just set up a SCBWI group for non-fiction writers.
  • Hi Tracy
    have been on their web site and sent off email for all info to join. It looks like they actually hold meetings about 5 mins from where I live, so that would be very handy.
  • Excellent Jenny :)
    I know you join via the US site but it's all connected and info passed on.
  • I enjoyed reading that interview. Thanks, Tracy. She sounds like a really interesting author. Isn't she lucky with all those openings she has found?
  • Just read your interview with Anita Loughrey Tracy. It was interesting and I found it inspirational, as I've always kept writing non fiction for children in my thoughts.

Had to chuckle as Anita's timetable reminds me a little of my own target achievement lists :)

Thanks for that Tracy. :)
  • Great interview. Love her timetable too! I have one in my head and ignore it.
  • Glad you enjoyed the interview :) I love the way she schedules in facebook - very sensible, I think it can be far too easy to waste time on the internet.
    *coughs* not that I ever do of course!! :D
  • Anyone who finds ways to stop losing hours and hours on the internet is a better disciplined person than I! ;)

Loved the interview, Tracy.
  • This is great, Tracy. I've scanned down your questions for Anita and they look spot on. I'll be back to read her answers tonight.
  • Thanks for the comments - I hope none of you mind but I've copied and pasted onto the blog so Anita can see them too. :)