Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Winchester Writers' Conference 2011 now open for booking!

edited March 2011 in - Resources
If you haven't been to this brilliant writers' conference yet, I highly recommend it. Booking has just opened, and if you go on the Saturday you get three 15 minute sessions with editors, agents and writers included, with work looked at beforehand. You need to book quickly though to get the people you want!

http://www.writersconference.co.uk/conference.htm

Off to choose my workshops and sessions!

Comments

• I enjoyed it last year, but can't afford it this year. :(
  • Oh no, I won't get to meet you again! Are you going, Rosalie? Not that you need to now Chloe's out!
  • I'm trying to make my mind up. Lou. It would be great to go again and I'm still looking for an agent. But it's expensive, as Kateyanne points out. May give it a miss this year... :(
  • Barry Cunningham of Chicken House is going, I'm hoping to get a one-to-one with him. I had one before but it was only 3 minutes! 15 will be a luxury!
  • :) Good luck!
  • Have decided to go to York again, as it is an easier car trip for me, coming from North Wales. They also have one to one sessions, though not as long as Winchester, so you have no time for 'ums' or 'ers.'
  • My top tips on surviving the conference:

http://loutreleaven.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/winchester-writers-conference-2011/
  • Some good advice there. Wish I was going loved it last year.
  • I know, it's definitely the highlight of my year.
  • Don't think I can go but anyway cannot download ANY of the 'click here' spots for competitions, entries etc. Is anyone else having this problem? I'll try going direct to the site.
    Maybe this is to do with Silverlight and Shockwave crashing?
  • Very interesting - I changed from GoogleChrome to InternetExplorer9 ... and immediately was able to download the above competition writeup - which I've now printed. Odd
    The competitions are HORRIBLY expensive - NINE POUNDS!!!!
  • They are expensive but I think you get feedback on all entries - can someone confirm that?
  • Yes I have entered children's books a few times now and you do get good feedback.
  • Yes, you do. I wouldn't normally enter expensive competitions but it's part of the buzz of the conference seeing if your name is on the board, and it is great to get editorial feedback - when I came second last year I got a whole page of useful comments.
  • I've been telling myself I would go to this conference this year - for the 'encouragement' and to get a agent slot or two. So I'm going to take a closer look. Would probably just go to a Friday mini course though.
  • You may not be eligible for the one to ones if you just do a Friday course though - check the booking form just in case.
  • Quite complicated isn't it? Apparently, just going on the Friday mini-course is called Package A and includes the Friday one-to-ones. Haven't decided yet though, due to the cost and other things.
  • Agree, it's very complicated - even more so than last year!
  • I'd love to go but won't be able to make it this year.
  • I went on the Friday a couple of years ago and found the mini-course and the one-to-ones useful. I enjoyed it and was pleased I'd gone, but I did feel a bit as though the 'real' event wouldn't start till the weekend, with the 'mingling' times a bit thin on people to talk to etc. It might just have been me, but if I went again I'd go on the Saturday.
  • I'm going! Sold a few bits on Ebay and Mum gave me some money towards it. Hurray!
    But just looked at the web site and the one to ones with Barry Cunningham, Donna Condon and Bev Birch have gone already :(
  • You have to get in quick! I applied as soon as it opened and was lucky enough to get my top choices - Barry Cunningham, Donna Condon and Sam Hawksmoor.
  • Not going but entering two competitions.
  • Don't forget 3 June deadline for competition entries and one-to-one submissions, ladies and gents!
  • Spooky just been out and sent mine!
  • Got my competitions ready, but I'm waivering on my one to one submissions!
  • Good luck to those of you who are going. Hope it's a really useful time. I've been to a few other writers' events recently so can't go to this one - need to ration the money a bit!
  • I can't afford it this year but Winchester isn't far, so it is tempting. If inflation and all the uncertainty wasn't so bad, I might feel more confident about spending the money...
  • I know... it's my one big treat to myself.
  • Only two and a half weeks to go! Is anyone else going who wants to say hello to me and Kateyanne? I know Malcolm will be there signing books.
  • I'm getting excited!
  • So am I! I can't wait! I've asked if it's okay to take some general photos so I can put them on my blog - give people an idea of what it's like when you're there. I love the atmosphere of it all.
  • Just out of interest - are these sort of conferences only applicable to fiction writers?
  • Sob, I'm not going this year (have been the last 3 years!)

Claudia, there are talks for non-fiction writers, and editors and agents there who are interested in them too. And some of the competitions are non-fiction. Others will probably know more than me...
  • Claudia, have a look at the website and you can see what's on. There's plenty for non fiction writers too although I would say it is biaised towards fiction.

http://www.writersconference.co.uk/
  • Just got my name badge - delegate number 13...!
  • Have fun Lou. I wish I'd booked now, since my plans have changed somewhat but the bookings window has closed now. Never mind.
  • That's my lucky number! I am number 99 green dot badge , first lunch sitting.
  • I'm first lunch too kateyanne! Shall we meet up?

pbw - Are you sure it's not too late? On the newsletter that I received with my pack it says STILL TIME TO BOOK phone 01962 827238. I don't want to get your hopes up but you could try giving them a ring. Or email [email protected] - he's very helpful and replies quickly.
  • Yes lets meet up like last year , meet you by the front entrance to Stripe at 12.45? I have a 1-1 at 12.30.
  • I thought that said Strip when I first read it! Shades of Writers' Nudes. :)
  • Shush, Jay. What happens at the Winchester midnight readings is a closely-guarded secret.... ;)
  • I'll try not to lead us into the VIP dining area this time!
  • Am I going mad? Where are the numbers of the rooms for the lectures?
  • Exactly what I thought! Where do we go?!
  • I just emailed , we will be told on the day.
  • Okay, I'm booked in for the Saturday. I don't know which lunch I'll be on but I've booked my talks and my one-to-one. It will be great to meet the illustrious TBers and I'm looking forward to it. :)
  • That's great! Meet up at 12.45 if possible, outside the Stripe Room if you are on first lunch, if not we will all have to meet at another time but wait and see which sitting you are on first.
  • Great.
  • Wow, well done for getting in at the last minute pbw! Looking forward to meeting you! And you got a one to one - great! Did you go on waiting lists for any others?