Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

IRCs

edited April 2011 in - Resources
I want to sub something to the USA and enclose a postage paid envelope for the reply, so I took it to the post office. The assistant hasn't ever heard of IRCs. Can I still get them? Are they called something different now?

Comments

• I got them a few months back but had to get someone to get them from a main post office. If you are having difficulty I have one I can post you.
  • I think you can buy US stamps online.
    I think it is very hard to get IEC's now.
  • Cheers. It's a small post office in another shop, so I'll try a bigger one and see if they have them.
  • I also tried a while back and was told it had to be a main post office. I think they also have expiry dates, though I don't know how long.
    I also tried buying US Stamps online without any luck - the US postal service wouldn't sell them overseas.

In the end, I got a friend who was going to the US on holiday to get me some.
    A right palaver that so far has only resulted in returns from the magazine in question!

Hope you have better luck PM
  • There needs to be a better system arranged for stuff like this. Perhaps this is a subject for a letter to WM, PM.
  • There is a better system - e-mail! Unfortunately, the magazine won't use it. I can understand it for recieving work, but can't see why they couldn't reply by e-mail if we didn't mind not having the mss back.
  • If it's Woman's World, they say they need it so that they can send a contract if you are successful. I sent them an SAE but suggested that if it was a decline they let me know by email and recycle the stamps - they still sent the stories back in the envelope.
  • It is Woman's World. I'll try a main post office and if I have no luck, will e-mail WW and see what they say.

Could be Carol, especially as there seem to be less and less UK markets which means more of us are likely to try overseas markets. Please feel free to write in yourself, if you fancy doing so.
  • No, I think you should do it PM as you have the experience of the difficulties and frustrations.
    As so many PO's are closing it could be difficult to get to a main Post Office due to location- our one in Nottingham City Centre gets very busy and yesterday I got my little ticket at the machine upon arrival and there were 37 people in front of me just for general counter services...