Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Calling occupants of interplanetary space...(and other sff head-cases)

pbwpbw
edited May 2011 in - Resources
Oooh goody! My copy of Writing Science Fiction by Lazette Gifford has just arrived from the Writers' Online Store. I can't wait to start reading it and will beam back what I discover...
Any other terrestrial beings (transported or otherwise) doing similar research?

Comments

• I've done plenty of SF research in my time :)

What in particular are you looking into at the moment, PBW?

Let me know if the books any good, its payday tomorrow :D
  • pbwpbw
    edited May 2011
    It's a small paperback but meaty, over 200 pages, so looks like being a good re-usable resource.
    Looking at the Chapter headings...

Defining Science Fiction (genres etc...that already looks useful)

What if cars could fly? (extrapolating on known and/or experimental/research science)

Two chapters on world building

Extra arms do not make an alien (that sounds like fun)

It's all been done before (I guess this offers strategies for being original)

These are not all the Chapter headings but you get the idea, plus a bibliography and more info in the Appendices.

Money well spent, I reckon.

PS If you can offer me any advice, BR, I particularly need to anticipate gadgets and technology we will be using over the twenty to thirty years. Not easy - who would have predicted 'Android' operating systems ten years ago?
  • Hmm, it does sound pretty good. I think I'll check it out, cheers for the info!
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]I particularly need to anticipate gadgets and technology we will be using over the twenty to thirty years[/quote]

Rosalie would be a good one to talk to, pbw - she has an MSc in artificial intelligence.
  • PBW, Peter F Hamilton answered that 20-30 year question when he answered questions at our club last month. Because you want the book to be readable in future and not be overtaken by technology, he adviced keeping it general.
    But obviously you will know what your story needs.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]I particularly need to anticipate gadgets and technology we will be using over the twenty to thirty years[/quote]

One way to anticipate trends is to trawl scientific sites such as http://www.newscientist.com or http://www.scientificamerican.com and check out sites for science and technology conventions where they showcase work they are researching at the moment. These are often a good way to indicate future technologies and at the very least they get you to think in ways you wouldn't usually!