Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anyone writing historical fiction?

edited June 2011 in - Writing Problems
How much research do you do? In particular how do you achieve authenticity in the speech patterns of your characters? I'd be very interested to talk in some detail with anyone else writing about the 1850s in particular.

Comments

• Gosh, Mutley, I'd say that is going to involve quite a bit of research for you; not only the speech of all your characters, but also the narrator's voice so that it suits the historical subject matter. Then there's the social history for costume, buildings and transport, attitudes between people (whether women, for example, would talk about a certain subject: that kind of thing). It's an absolute minefield.

If I were going to try it, from a standing start (even though I'm a student of history and have taught history for years at secondary level), I'd read as many modern books set in that period as I could find, to get the 'feel' for it.

Good luck.
  • I think Carol does historical stuff, but a bit earlier than 1850. There's interesting things on her blog:

http://carol-bevitt.blogspot.com/
  • I think you have to use your inner ear for this. You can do research for the 1850s: read the dialogue in Dickens, or any other writer of the period, for instance, or any biographies of local worthies from the place where you are setting your story. You could check out the archives of local newspapers (try the offices themselves, or your library if you still have one). If you have a local museum, you might be allowed access to useful documents from the period. It's easy to research costumes and home interiors, which would give you the feel for the times. National Trust properties of the right time can be useful - and check out their booksales for background research.
    My chosen period is Medieval France, and it would be impossible and pointless to try to write in Middle French, as in Middle English, so I have to try to get the content right. In June's WM there is an article by Liz Gregory called Past Times, which might be of general help. Though it doesn't deal with dialogue specifically, it does mention the idea of an Afterword where you can explain why you have messed with real history for artistic purposes.
    www.victorian-london.org may be of some use, even if you aren't writing about London.
    A lot of our language comes from everyday usage, so even if you don't use it in the story, your background research could provide useful vocabulary.
    Good luck!
  • My current novel is set in AD 162, so a bit out of your zone.

Maybe read some novels published in the nineteenth century.
  • I'd certainly agree with all that Bertiebear has said Mutley.
    A lot will depend upon how much you already know about that time period- it was a time period that was changing, in the following years there was political reform, but there had been agitation for it for a number of years.
    Your characters circumstances too will have bearing on their behaviour, their dress, their language and their morality.
    Also it will depend on where the story is set. Many of my ancestors were agricultural labourers in Essex around that time and they had to move around the various farms for work, until they had no choice but to move to the city in the late 1850's.
    Shire books have a series on Victorian subjects, so look them up. They provide interesting starting points for research that may help you decide what you need to know more about.
    The Victorians were very formal on the surface- a result of Queen Victoria wanting to get away from the behaviour of her Uncles- two of whom had been King before her.
    I have a few books on the Victorian home that might good for you, but it just depends on your story scenario.
  • All good stuff - particularly the newspaper suggestion. Given I worked in regional newspapers for 7 years - why didn't I think if that? (Please don't answer!!!) I'm totally immersing myself in the culture as best I can - music / films / books / internet research - I need to visit the places really but that involves significant travel as it isn't UK based.

You are right about the agitation for reform Carol. I can't believe what an exciting time it was for so many countries. I'm already thinking I may continue to write other pieces set in this period including short stories. It is a long time since anything I have been researching and writing has got me as excited as this.
  • Once you get the bug you will be hooked. :)

Also have a look at http://victorianweb.org/
    Don't forget to check out Guttenberg and other online access points for out of copyright books you can download.
  • [quote=Mutley] I can't believe what an exciting time it was for so many countries.[/quote]

It certainly was. Historians have dubbed 1848 as the year of revolutions: thinking back: France, Austria, Piedmont and various other Italian states, Balkan states had a go at overthrowing their rulers - it was all happening.
  • Sounds a bit like now, Egypt, and all those other countries.
  • I think when writing historical fiction you shouldn't be afraid of following little details, they can take you to some wonderful places.

I can't remember how I fell upon this, but I discovered St Paul had been a bounty hunter for the Romans before his conversion, and I started doing more research and discovered information about the use of 'barbarian' head hunters. Then last week I was in Waterstone's looking at Anthony Riches recent book which mentioned the Frumentaii. I went home and did a google and discovered they were part of the emperor's personal bodyguard, and more dangerous than any legion.

Perfect fodder for any thriller, and has sent my book on a twist I never expected.
  • I'm working on a historical novel set in 1815 so a bit earlier than yours but I take historical accuracy very seriously (from my time as a re-enactor of the Regency period). I try to use authentic dialogue as much as possible.
  • [quote=MadeiranMermaid](from my time as a re-enactor of the Regency period). [/quote]

Wow, MM, do you mean costume and all?
  • Yes. :D

I actually blogged about it a while ago;
    http://literary-scribbles.blogspot.com/2011/01/living-history-re-enacting-jane-austen.html
  • edited June 2011
    The dialogue does need to be authentic as MM says, but like using dialect, you have to be careful not to overdo it, but still get the tone and sound of the speech used at the time.
    Having a reference book that gives you word histories is invaluable too. I know I've used a word that I thought was fine within that setting/time period, but looking up the word history discovered it was another fifty years before it was in usage...A few years isn't a problem, but decades is. :)
  • I am checking slang I use to ensure it was of the period, the actual speech is quite hard as they may have spoken some Gaelic, but I am of course limited to English. I have been trying to absorb appropriate turns of phrase.
  • You may find that easier after absorbing some of your other research.
  • [quote=Carol]he dialogue does need to be authentic as MM says, but like using dialect, you have to be careful not to overdo it, but still get the tone and sound of the speech used at the time.[/quote]

I think that depends on the time period. Obviously, medieval English would be difficult to follow if you kept it really authentic. But I think Regency English is fine and is mostly just a bit more old-fashioned souding than modern English.
  • Yes, more formal.
  • Having just glanced quickly through Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel much of the writing, whether dialogue or description, is simply good English as spoken today. There's nothing especially 'Tudor' about it.