Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is it enough just to change names?

edited June 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hi
I know I have mentioned this before , but just to clarify . I want to send out a trilogy of short stories( children`s) , but the middle story has been accepted by Peoples Friend for publication next month. Can I send the whole trilogy out to a publisher by just changing some of the characters names and or change few sentences around . I want to keep one of the characters with the same name if possible.

Comments

• I would suggest you tell the publisher that the middle story has appeared in PF.
    Just changing some of the characters names and a few sentences wouldn't be enough in my opinion.
    If a publisher is interested there are bound to be changes wanted. You won't be creating any rights conflict as they are different types.
    But as said that is only my opinion and there are TB's who will have a more definitive answer, I'm sure.
  • What does it say in the P. F rules? Some magazines claim copyright of all their stories and articles. A few even get you to sign film and tv rights etc over just in case they get approached. Maybe you should get PF's view as well? Just a thought. Copyright is such a minefield nowadays.
  • As far as I know PF just buy FBSR.
  • Hi Carol and CarolA
    Yes you are correct as far as I know. I have not signed anything with them this time. ( I did for my first one that got published) I will ask the lady I know at PF and see if they have any other rules that we don't know about. That`s a good suggestion thanks.
  • Why change the names? That won't make it a new story, so you can only offer second serial rights, whatever the names. Changing a few sentences around also doesn't make it a new story - it's just an edited version. Changing the location, time period, characters' hair colour etc still won't make it a new story - just an edited version of the original.

You can offer the trilogy, but you'll have to say that one has been published previously.

I don't know about PF, but many other magazines don't allow you to sell the work for a particular period (usually 6 months, but it varies) after publication.

You can't offer the story before PF publish it as they buy first serial rights (FBSR) and once you've accepted PF's offer you must wait until they've published it and you've waited the required period (if there is one) If in doubt, check the original contract (I'm fairly sure it'll say it applies to all other work they accept from you)

If you break your contract with PF then no other DC Thomson company will buy your work and they could take legal action. It's not worth the risk.
  • edited June 2011
    I think it might be 18 months, if it's the same as Woman's Weekly.
    However, since the trilogy has not actually been accepted or even seen yet by a publisher, although the publisher ought to be told the middle third has been sold/published by PF, I think also that a telephone call to your editor in person at PF would be appropriate, explaining the situation. After all, even if your chosen publisher accepts the trilogy, it's unlikely to be in print within the 18 months PF have FBSR over. If you're open and honest with everyone, you're less likely to get backs up!
    Oh yes, sorry, meant to say - just changing a name or two does NOT sound like a good idea, imo
  • Someone's got me thinking, folks! I'm going to check with WW about the time limit for FBSR and I'll get back to you. I was sure it was 18 months but am now ... not sure WHY I thought that, must have a look at my paperwork
    I'll be back tomorrow with the definitive answer
  • I thought it was a year - but I'm not sure why I thought that.
  • Just had an e-mail back from Clare Cooper, yes it's 18 months with Woman's Weekly
  • Thanks for all the answers . I have a pretty good idea of the right thing to do now.