Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Book Predicament

edited June 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise. I think I have made some kind of 'amateur mistake' which I am unsure how to rectify. I have been working on a memoir, which is by no means finished. I did, however, sent off a few chapters to a publisher in order to ascertain whether it would be a book they would consider supporting. I thought you could receive commissioning/financial support as you write an accepted book? I think I got this wrong and I also seem to have given the publishers the wrong idea. There response has been positive:

Dear Nicola,

Thank you for your recent submission. We would be delighted to be able to look at the whole manuscript.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards

However, this positive response is based on me having a completed book! What do I do? Should I explain that the book is in progress and I will submit it to them on completion? Or, perhaps they would like to see further chapters as they are completed? Or, perhaps I just have to step back and hold my head in disappointment as I admit I took the wrong approach?

Any advice, guidance, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Nicola

Comments

• The fact they haven't read your submission letter properly is a bit odd. Who is the publisher?
  • OL-Publishing. I think it is a new publishers. They responded positively when I first sent it and then took about a month to send the most recent response - one which I wasn't expecting.
  • I don't know this publisher so Googled them - nothing came up which seems very odd. There's Open Leaf which is new - is that the one?

[quote=Nicolauk]Should I explain that the book is in progress and I will submit it to them on completion?[/quote] Yes. It might be a good idea to give them an idea of how long you expect that to take.

It's not usual for a publisher to pay you anything before a book is completed and I doubt a new company would consider doing that.
  • Just found them - they are a personal development publishing arm of a personal development and life-coaching business. There was a article in WN about them.

Well done on getting a response to send the whole manuscript. You won't get an advance. i agree with PM, you'd better tell them!
  • Hi Nicolauk,
    I haven't heard of the publisher, but because your book is non-fiction, most non-fic publishers will only require an outline, synopsis and chapter breakdown of your book. In this case I would send them what you've written, a synosis and breakdown of chapters, with a letter stating that it is still a work in progress. Good luck and congraulations on the letter! Let us know how you get on.
  • That's it - Open Leaf
  • I am scared they won't be interested now!
  • Non-fiction books are commissioned before the author writes them. The publisher accepts them on the basis of the proposal and usually a chapter by chapter outline and sample chapter. The author is then paid part of the advance on signing the contract and the rest of the advance when the non-fiction book is completed and the ms delivered. So if yours is a non-fiction book then they might be what will happen. If it's fiction then it's normal to write the whole book before the publisher will consider it (unless you're one of their top-selling authors - then, who knows, it may be different!)
    Wishing you lots of luck ;)
  • dont be scared be honest. I believe midia to be quite right in their requirements. Give them what you have with the breakdown and give them a timescale for everything left to be to the standard of the work you have already submitted. Even if it means you don't sleep for the next month or two get scribbling girl!!! If they reject it, then it wasnt meant to be and youve not damaged your reputation as a writer by lying about availablity. Perhaps they did read your letter and are happy to wait until its finished? either way WAY TO GO!!!!!! good on you for getting a request for more and thanks for solving a dilemma of my own!!!
  • Thanks Daisy. This is a non-fiction book.
  • I think what I need to do is to take this as a positive sign that it is worth completing my book as interest has been shown. Once completed, then I need to contact the publisher. I will still clarify with them the situation as maybe they are willing to wait.
  • [quote=Amanda]Give them what you have with the breakdown and give them a timescale for everything left to be to the standard of the work you have already submitted. Even if it means you don't sleep for the next month or two get scribbling girl!!![/quote]

I have had another change of mind! I am going to take your advice, Amanda. I will send them a timeline of everything and get scribbling. Thanks so much for the advice :) Can I ask what your own dilemma was?
  • Good luck Nicola. The fact they are interested is a very good sign.
  • Hope it is a further positive response, good luck.
  • Is there any chance that 'manuscript' might mean proposal as opposed to whole book? Just a thought.
  • i was wondering if, as they are a new company and need to get stuff out there asap to make some funds, whether they were interested in whole manuscripts perhaps more than they would be if they were an established company.

If so, I'd definitely take up the advice above and get scribbling! And remember, they like what they've seen already. You are in a good position.
  • This a perfect example of why writers are advised to finish the manuscript before submitting.

Unless you have a strong publishing history no publisher will buy the book on a proposal.
  • On the contrary, Stirling, as Daisy has already pointed out above, it is normal practice to gain a commission before completing a non-fiction book. It makes perfect sense to ensure there is interest in the subject matter before completing an MS that might never be published. Publishers might well have suggestions on how to present the MS to ensure it fits with their lists.

Good luck, Nicolauk.
  • Congratulations Nicola! Be honest and tell them it's not finished yet but send them what you can - IF it's ready. If not send them a really good outline and perhaps give them a date when you will be submitting the rest. What a great motivation for finishing the book - good luck!
  • edited June 2011
    Nicola you never write a non fiction book in full as quite often the publisher requires a certain length and format. I'd send a proposal and wait to hear from them rather than finish the book. Some publishers do give a small advance on submitting the finished manuscript but most make a yearly royalty payment. If you do receive an advance it is offset against sales.

Good luck
  • They are still interested :) Thanks for the advice, everyone!
  • Yes well done! I wish I'd got as far as you have. Sometimes the road to Full Manuscript request is a very long one. Congratulations! Follow the advice on this thread and push on!
  • That's great news, Nicola.

Now get on and finish it!
  • Great news!
  • That's good news.
  • Excellent!
  • [quote=writebag]Nicola you never write a non fiction book in full as quite often the publisher requires a certain length and format. I'd send a proposal and wait to hear from them rather than finish the book. Some publishers do give a small advance on submitting the finished manuscript but most make a yearly royalty payment. If you do receive an advance it is offset against sales.[/quote]

QFT.

Congrats on the news, I hope it works out for you.
  • [quote=Nicolauk]They are still interested :) Thanks for the advice, everyone! [/quote]

Great! Let us know what happens.