Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Saturday Guardian - 'How to Write Fiction'

edited October 2011 in - Resources
There's a pull-out in today's Saturday Guardian (15/10/11) - 'How to Write Fiction - a Guardian Masterclass'. It's got tutorials from lots of famous writers, as well as writing exercises etc.

Just had a quick look through and it's very interesting. I've been writing every day this week and felt reasonably pleased with what I'd done. Then I looked at this and wondered if what I've written is rubbish. Do I need to go back to the planning?

I wonder why reading 'how to write' articles/books affect me like this? Is it just me?

Off to get my flu jab now - that will cheer me up!

Comments

• No it's not just you Megrose - thanks for the info, I'll get a Guardian today instead of my usual Telegraph - our flu jabs are on Thursday - hey-ho
  • Yes thanks for the info. I'll go buy one today too.
  • I think I'll have a look at that. Every little helps.Thanks.
  • [quote=Betsie]I'll get a Guardian today instead of my usual Telegraph [/quote]

That there is a small victory.
  • [quote=megrose]pull-out in today's Saturday Guardian [/quote]
    Omitted to mention the "Plus" :- Win a place on a creative writing course worth up to £4,000.

Thank you Megrose.
  • Bought mine, it was sold out in my little local papershop so walked further on to get it.

I don't usually buy the Guardian but looking forward to it today :)

Thanks Megrose.
  • I bought mine and I'm reading it now...

Oh yes, I quite enjoyed Tim Dowling's article on fixing the dishwasher, but I couldn't help thinking by the end of para 2, why didn't he simply buy a new flexible hose and replace it? It's what you normally do for that particular problem.
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/14/how-to-write-fiction-geoff-dyer
  • JanJan
    edited October 2011
    For those unable to purchase yesterday's paper, esecially those outside the U.K., The Guardian offers these alternative means of gaining the knowledge.

[Quote=The Guardian]This supplement is also available as an ebook from the Kindle and IBook store http://www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/guardian-shorts-how-to-write-fiction [/quote]
    [Quote=The Guardian]On the move? Listen to this masterclass on the Guardian Books podcast www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/books [/quote]
    The information does not yet appear on the podcast link.
  • The Guardian is clever, using all those alternative publishing platforms to boost its income!
  • Thank you. I've got my long suffering mother in law to go out and buy me a copy. I can't wait until i return to the uk to read it now!
  • Bought The Guardian last week when we were in Turkey because of this supplement. Have to say it's basically a reworking of many of the exercises and articles we've seen in WM/WN. Bit disappointing really or is that just me?
  • OOooer, is that plagairism ?
  • I think I agree with you red-lucy. I didn't think there was anything I hadn't read before. Mostly it was 'keep writing, keep polishing, keep reading and don't give up'.
    Yeah, right.
  • As well as all that though, there was the plug for their courses at £400 a go. :)
  • Well, well; who'd of thought it, eh?
    An ulterior motive. Tut, tut.
  • [quote=dora] £400 a go[/quote]
    Mmm £400 would be a bargain!! Try £4000 for levels 1 & 2 and £7000 for level 3!! I think you could a Masters for that amount.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardian-masterclasses/first-draft-novel-uea
  • What idiot pays that sort of money for writing courses?
  • Certainly not me.
  • [quote=dora] their courses at £400 a go[/quote]

Words fail me.
  • They say a fool and his/her money is soon parted. No way.
  • [quote=red-lucy]Bit disappointing really or is that just me? [/quote]
    Perhaps its realising their is no magic ingredient to achieve success.

Fact illustrates that recognition can only occur after words have been written; keep writing .....
  • [quote=red-lucy]Try £4000 for levels 1 & 2 and £7000 for level 3!! I think you could a Masters for that amount.
    [/quote]

Seems very steep bearing in mind the average wage for a writer is £4,000. But on the other hand, charging the right amount has to start somewhere... what do equivalent courses on other subjects cost? I don't know.