Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Buy a book for a worthwhile charity

edited November 2011 in - Resources
Some of you may recall I recently had a story accepted for an anthology. I wouldn’t normally ‘advertise’ like this – but since all proceeds will go to a charity dear to every writer’s heart, I want to push this.

Writers Abroad are also planning to enter this publication to the Writers News Anthology competition (deadline January 2012) and if lucky enough to win, the prize money will also be donated to the charity.

EXTRACTS FROM PRESS RELEASE:

Online writing group Writers Abroad are proud to announce the publication of a new anthology of short stories and non-fiction articles, entitled Foreign Flavours.

This is the second anthology published by Writers Abroad. All the contributors are, or have been, ex-pats living in places around the globe. Alexander McCall Smith, acclaimed author of The No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency Series has written the preface.

All proceeds from the sale of this book will go to The Book Bus, a charity whose aim is to bring literacy and the joy of reading to children in the developing world.
Find out more on their website, http://www.thebookbus.org/.

Foreign Flavours is available from Lulu http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/foreign-flavours/18192264 Price £9.60

To find out more please go to the Writers Abroad website, http://www.writersabroad.com

Comments

• I often wondered why you were always on the move.
    Ive had a look at the Book Bus web site.
    One question.
    Do you ever go to schools and present slide shows of the work all do, in the countries you visit.

When my sister went for holiday in Africa, She told me there where people handing out, various items of stationery
    that was more than welcome. She wished she had know about this before leaving for her adventure.

Thanks for the details.
  • I don`t usually shout it from the roof-tops either, but I`m in there too, and the Book Bus is a charity close to any writers heart: helping people with little or no access to books discover reading.
    The book would make a lovely Christmas present for people who enjoy travelling, eating and reading. That should cover most of humamity :-) And also for any ex-pats who can relate to the culinary experiences of the contributors.
    Check it out, Talkbackers!
  • Humamity? I meant "humanity" of course :-)
  • Congratulation Jany. :)
  • As if we didn't know, :D:
  • Jany - that's great! My neighbour also has a story in it. I'll be ordering my copy soon and look forward to reading your entry. Perhaps you could whisper me your real name?

Francis - you've misunderstood my initial post - I'm not directly involved in the Book Bus charity - but it's a fantastically worthwhile cause that I'm proud to 'donate' my story to. :)
  • Have to admit I'm disappointed this thread dropped away so fast.
    Bringing it back for anyone who missed it first time around a few days ago.
    The Book Bus is a worthwhile cause and this gives us an opportunity to donate less than a tenner in return for a book containing 64 stories.
    Please look at the Book Bus website if you need convincing.
    Thank you
  • And I have a story in there too, so bringing it up to the top again. Well done Claudia and Jany.
  • Congrats, you folk! I'm glad you resurrected this thread, as I missed it the first time.

The book sounds great, and for such a worthwhile cause. Wishing you lots and lots of sales!
  • Well done all TB contributors.
  • Many congrats to you all and thanks for bringing this to our attention... I am off to sign up now..xx
  • Hey, Bangkok Girl - glad to know another tber joins the ranks - congratulations, and look forward to reading your story. What is it's title? Or could you whisper me your real name so I can find it when I get my copy?
    Still hoping to hear from Jany so I can identify her contribution too.
    My story is called Sieving out the Weevils (it's original incarnation was a OWC story). :)
  • Question for Jany and Bangkok Girl - did you - like me - hear about this competition through Writers' News?
    Just curious because they're intending to enter the anthology in the WN anthology comp and it would be rather nice to know that it was their advertising in WM/WN that helped us.
  • Just received my copies. Wow! It even has pictures! For people thinking of living abroad: it`ll either have you buying Marmite by the box-load, or get you salivating at all the foreign spices and ingredients.
    But it isn`t all cookery and eating; there is some beuatiful fiction in there, love stories and page-turners. Well worth the 10 Euros.
  • Sounds great, Jany. I've just ordered my copy - rather expensive to mail to Fiji, but I don't want to wait until I get back to the UK next spring! :)
  • Now you can not only read all about it, but HEAR all about it:
    http://www.expatsradio.com/programmes/anthology-reading-jany-graef

If that doesn`t work, just try www.expatsradio.com and click on Morning Story

(Just don`t remind me that the guy in the story whose name is Keith suddenly turns into Jack at the end.... *hangs head in mortified shame*)
  • Christmas is coming, folks!
  • The Writers Abroad Anthology is flying off the shelves, folks! (4 weeks till Christmas....)
  • Thanks for the link, Jany. I'll have a listen when I get back to Fiji, and - hopefully - my copy will be waiting for me! :)
  • I`ll be thinking of you, Claudia: lying under a palm tree reading "Forein Flavours" (*goes green with envy") .
  • I missed this first time round but it sounds like a very worthwhile purchase!
  • It certainly is, ttofee! And a great Christmas gift at only 10 Euros.
  • [quote=Jany]ust received my copies. Wow! It even has pictures! For people thinking of living abroad: it`ll either have you buying Marmite by the box-load, or get you salivating at all the foreign spices and ingredients.
    But it isn`t all cookery and eating; there is some beuatiful fiction in there, love stories and page-turners. Well worth the 10 Euros.[/quote]

I've returned to Fiji now and picked up my copy. Found Jany and Bangkok Girl's entries - all excellent - well done you two (also my neighbour's entry - another Fiji story). I'm now reading the whole anthology from cover to cover: there's some very good stuff in it!
  • So glad you posted to the thread, Claudia. I had missed it first time round. Just ordered my copy and as an ex-expatriate myself I am really looking forward to reading it.
  • That's great, Richt - I'm about half-way through the anthology now and have enjoyed most of the entries (always the odd exception to be expected in an anthology). I like the fact that it contains both fiction and non-fiction.

[quote=richt]as an ex-expatriate myself[/quote]
    Well whadya know? I always assumed you were a UK tber! Where in the world are you?
  • Note the extra 'ex-'. I'm retired and back in the UK now. In fact I only spent a few years overseas, in Cyprus and then Saudi Arabia. Cyprus was great - easy to mix with the locals and a lovely island. Saudi was claustrophobic - walled compounds and the worst type of expats. Now back in Cornwall putting up with the wet to enjoy the green!