Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Self-Publishing

edited November 2011 in - Resources
Excellent coverage of Self-Publishing in the December Writers' News. As an experienced and successful self publisher - 26 titles in 17 years!- I wonder how many of you have considered this route to publication? What's your thoughts on the subject?

Comments

• This feature has revived the discussion on TB. Some are already self publishing (their work, not themselves...)

We have another discussion related to it, incl. POD, on the thread 'The future is print-on-demand'. I wont' repeat all the comments here, but we'd probably be better to move to this thread now as self-publish encompasses POD.
  • It's not for me.
    If I ever 'get a novel 'out' I would want it to be a 'traditional' publishing house.
  • Me too ceka but I do do know people who have self-published very successfully. I just don't have the drive or know-how (or the five hundred plus facebook friends) needed. The thought of marketing etc scares me witless. Horses for courses I suppose.
  • Well, marketing scares me too, Casey, but in these days whichever way you publish, traditionally or POD or Self, you still have to do marketing yourself. A lot of people have successfully self-published, and I see many more doing the same in these times of it being so hard to getting a publisher or agent. I am one of those people. I have just self-published my first ebook, which is really a short story, and it's called The Railway Angel.