Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Carnegie nominated author, Miriam Halahmy, talks about writing with asylum seekers

edited November 2011 in - Resources
New post on tall tales & short stories from Carnegie nominated author, Miriam Halahmy -

'Many asylum seekers talk about the loneliness they have to endure along with homesickness and knowing that they will probably never see their families again. Coming together weekly to write gives them companionship, a shared purpose and the chance of having their voices heard.

In all the organisations I have worked with we have been funded to produce a booklet of work and the absolute delight of the writers seeing their work in print is unimaginable. Having their writing appreciated is a huge boost to plummeting self-esteem. As Jacqueline from Uganda said to me, "You have taken us from sad to positive."'

http://talltalesandshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/11/diversity-matters-soil-of-my-ancestors.html

Comments