Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Joanne Horniman on teen dads and the intensity of first love.

edited November 2011 in - Resources
DIVERSITY MATTERS: Joanne Horniman on the teen dads who inspired, Mahalia, and the intensity of first love in, About A Girl.

'Often I'm inspired more by the shape of a novel and a way of writing than more pedagogical issues, and in this case I wanted to write a short and honest novel about relationships - thinking of Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood' and the work of Banana Yoshimoto - also the early novels of Margaret Drabble, the ones she wrote in her 20s, such as 'The Millstone' - I like her intelligent girl narrators.

And then a part of me wanted to write something out of the ordinary - why should we assume that people are heterosexual? As well as being part of the Women's Liberation movement in the early 70s, many of my friends were in Gay Lib. I lived with 2 gay men, uni students like myself, and we had the gay liberation phone at our house, as they had no regular headquarters. But as George Orwell said in his essay 'Why I write', all writing is political, even that which doesn't think it is, so yes, my subject matter has a political purpose, even though it really grows out of who I am.'

http://talltalesandshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/11/diversity-matters-joanne-horniman-on.html

Comments