Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

MSt in Creative Writing from Oxford Uni Dept of Continuing Education

edited November 2011 in - Resources
On my website and in my Directory there are a large number of courses and tutors - too many to list here. I'd like to mention this one in particular because these nice people phoned me instead of emailing me. The world of my email inbox is like having to live inside the proverbial haystack constantly looking for the dratted needle (because there are so many emails i.e. bits of hay). Whereas a phone call is much better from my point of view. Details at www.conted.ox.ac.uk/W800-27

Comments

• The fees are rather breathtaking!
  • Yep. Anyone would think us writers is made of money, innit.
  • Well, of course, I agree, but the tutors range from a private individual working on a small scale and, of course, highly trained - but nice lowish prices - right up to the other end of the scale. Interestingly I wonder who they (Ox Uni) will aim their mailshot at because, yes, money is everything. Also there are many listings for retreats - both at home and abroad - and the fees are astronomical and I await feedback - I keep asking people if they've been on one of these to let me know so that I can make a mental note (i.e. off the record). None of these people seem to have gone out of business despite the massive fees for, say, a creative writing retreat week in Spain - full board. This is an area I find very interesting. I'm trying to tread carefully here (i.e. hinting that I think all these things are too expensive) without upsetting any tutors reading this who are here at Talkback. Often they say "you get what you pay for". Any feedback about any course anywhere do contact me by phone 01525 873197 or email [email protected] - in case it would offend anyone here. Don't want anyone slagging anyone off but it is an extremely interesting topic. Every week someone will contact me asking for a recommendation and obviously I can't give one - I leave it to people to dig around and get recommendations from others on a course. If I have heard someone or some course is awful and a waste of £500 I can't say so to anyone - I just listen and learn.
  • That is a two year course with various placements , and as such looks pretty good to me. My MA in 2006/7 cost 3,000 plus for one year. And the fees for overseas students I notice are quite low - they can range up to £13,000 or so.

I can't even begin to describe what my MA has given me - not just in excellent tutoring and making my writing (already published writing) way better, but in contacts, fun, experience...

I was a writer before, but afterwards I had confidence and knowledge which has proved invaluable. not to mention a writing group to die for.
    If you have the money, go for it is what I say. 4 out of the 8 in my group are now published and published in a BIG way.
  • Where did you do yours, Liz?
  • Bath Spa.
  • [quote=Liz!]4 out of the 8 in my group are now published and published in a BIG way. [/quote]

There must be tons of writers out there published anyway, without having handed their hard-earned to someone in return for tuition.

As for writing retreats, surely the best thing to do is book yourself a weekend away somewhere and just, erm, write?
    Why would you need to pay out sums of money to someone else in order to find space, time and inclination to write?

If you don't have naturally have the urge to do write, then, well, I simply don't get it.
  • LizLiz
    edited November 2011
    [quote=dora]
    There must be tons of writers out there published anyway, without having handed their hard-earned to someone in return for tuition.[/quote]

Well, that's a moot point. They were all excellent writers - but many had sent off stuff over and over to be told it wasn't quite good enough. Three of them now have the manuscript written on the course, and then others after, published. So I'd say, yeah, hundreds get published anyway - but how many more are there almost there but not really sure where they are going wrong? The competition is great out there.

But not only that - i was published over and over, happily, and would have been forever more I expect. but now my writing is SO much better. I know perfectly well that it would not have improved that much without the exacting standards exerted upon me by the tutors.

The other thing is, it gave me the freedom and permission and support to try other genres. Very few of us experiment. We stick to what we know. Some because that's all they want to do. But I wanted to try other genres and see if I could do it.

Creative writing courses aren't there to give you time to write, they are there to improve your writing. We all need to improve, I hope I never stop improving, but I can tell you unequivocally that normal creative writing courses at evening classes, although good, excellent in fact, will never give you what a full time course will.

One thing that i would recommend above all is writing an exercise and having it marked by your peers, Seeing exactly how your words have affected another person, 7 others, is the very best way to learn. you aren't writing for yourself, you are writing for an audience and you need that feedback to understand how your words work.
  • edited November 2011
    [quote=Liz!]One thing that i would recommend above all is writing an exercise and having it marked by your peers, [/quote]

I very often do, thanks, and haven't paid out thousands of pounds to do so, as I have writer friends all around the UK all at differing levels of writing experience.
  • edited November 2011
    [quote=Liz!]will never give you what a full time course will. [/quote]

what's that then, an empty purse?

:) I'm only jesting, Liz, as I"m sure these courses have their place in some people's lives, just as several thousand pounds a term fee paying schools have their place in others.
  • Liz makes very valid points.
    Okay - you can argue that anyone literate can 'write' - but that's like saying that anyone who can put a paintbrush on a canvas can 'paint'.
    The whole point of any writing course is to help the writer hone their skills, discover their weaknesses, learn how to correct those weaknesses, practice, practice, practice and learn to write to a professional standard.
    An artist, a musician, a dancer, an actor - these people may all have natural talent and skill - but why do you think they train under professional tuition/school/academies?
    Why does anyone think all writers can do it without help? (The word ALL is deliberate - there are always exceptions.) :)
  • [quote=claudia]The whole point of any writing course is to help the writer hone their skills, discover their weaknesses, learn how to correct those weaknesses, practice, practice, practice and learn to write to a professional standard. [/quote]

I'm sure it is, Claudia, and I'd be pretty cross if I'd paid thousands of pounds and not been helped to find my weaknesses, or told to practice and learned how to write to a professional standard.

Thing is though, you can do all those things without paying loadsamuni if you are motivated enough to find out things for yourself, map out your own learning aims and objectives, and be prepared to put in tons of time and effort.

Not everyone needs spoonfeeding.
  • LizLiz
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely. There's a lot of weak, lazy writing out there. and i also have loads of writing friends - more now of course - and all at the top end of writing experience.

Jesting or not, what someone who hasn't been on a course like this doesn't have is comparison.

i went on the MA as my mum had just died, I had enough money for the first time, and two friends suggested it to me. I applied very late for the course with a week to go before term started and got in within a week after being interviewed. I probably would have thought all the things you do if i hadn't been sort of tipped into it, for various reasons, dora.

Before this, I had writing friends, all at differing levels of experience (from well published to aspiring to just starting). I had been on various writing courses, from local college to community writing workshops up to Bath University evening classes. Some paid for, some not.
    I can tell you from my experience and that of my fellow students at Bath Spa - no comparison. Like comparing Toddler Group to an A level course.

Comparing a paid post degree level course to a paid school is just not the same. Schools are aiming for the same level. You can pay for better facilities and better surroundings and 'supposedly' better teachers and certainly different teaching methods, but both Comprehensive and private schools are striving for the same level of education, with differing ability of students and differing levels of interest from the students. Sadly, that makes an enormous difference to the ability of the teachers to teach effectively.

I'm not saying it's the only way, cos there are a huge number of writers out there who have never been on a course, but I am saying now I know what it can be like I would save every penny i have for 10 years to go on one, if i hadn't been. It was truly the best year of my life, and that includes this year, having got my book to a publisher and almost published, without a doubt, i preferred learning how to do it!

Nor am I saying I am a brilliant writer. I am a better writer than i would have been until the end of my days in just one year, that's what. And I learned how bad I was... and how to critique myself, and how to strive for excellence, and know what excellence is.
  • [quote=Liz!] I probably would have thought all the things you do if i hadn't been sort of tipped into it, for various reasons, dora.[/quote]

Liz, it was right for you, and that's okay.

I'm not against learning itself, I've been through a lifetime of it, spent every hour after working a day full of work, at college and then uni, I do know what is involved at degree level.

Even though I'm with the view there is no need to spend so much, I don't see any problem with anyone if they want to indulge themselves in a particular course for whatever reason.

I just don't see it as a necessity.
  • It can also be argued that writing courses only teach from templates set by those who never attended writing courses. Of course the same could be said of all education. My point is you don't need to learn abut writing from courses. You can learn that best from reading a lot and writing even more. You may also become a better writer without the influences and prejudices of CW tutors. Then again you may become a better writer if steered the right way.

A lot of people will say the greatest part of a writing degree is the contacts you make. Especially at a place like Bath Spa as Liz mentions. So I don't agree that you need to go on any course to learn to write. I do think you do need to learn to write to become a writer though. The problem is when you do it alone it could take a lot longer but with fewer prejudices. But then again won't you also find those in the writers you read?

[quote=Liz!]both Comprehensive and private schools are striving for the same level of education, with differing ability of students and differing levels of interest from the students. Sadly, that makes an enormous difference to the ability of the teachers to teach effectively.[/quote]

I'm not clear of the point you are trying to make here Liz. Are you saying that it doesn't matter what facility it is you learn from or that it does?
  • I'm saying that they are both trying to get teenagers to pass A levels. Allegedly with the aim of them all 'reaching their potential'. But handicapped by the fact that within their classes are teenagers hell bent on not reaching their potential, and those that don't have huge amount of potential, that take up the teachers time and ability to concentrate on and set lessons at a level for those who don't need as much of their time as they'll reach the required level anyway. There just isn't the capacity to do everything for all the students, not enough money, not enough time, not enough energy 9although I admire teachers greatly) and not enough staff.

I'm saying that a post degree course has only people at very high level and the higher the level of the people in your group the better your writing will get - you write for those around you and strive to beat them. If your rivals are strolling you don't bust a gut trying to get to the finishing line, you use just enough energy to trounce them, it's not as much fun and you don't get a thrill.
  • LizLiz
    edited December 2011
    [quote=SilentTony]But then again won't you also find those in the writers you read?[/quote]

Not sure what you mean. Just reading does make you a better writer but it doesn't really tell you what you yourself are doing wrong - you can certainly emulate excellence, but you become blind to your own faults! And not everyone can see how a writer is getting an effect.

I'd say a good course doesn't instil prejudice or influence you to become anything other than what you are already, but better.
  • edited December 2011
    You've missed my point Liz. Of course there will be prejudice as in any higher form of education. The tutor or lecturer will have their own ideas, own favourite's in the field, those they despise in the filed and so on. This will form their view on how to teach and what to teach. Also just reading certainly can make you a better writer and should as you state. If you took away all forms of creative writing education though, are you suggesting there would be no more writers in the world?

I think very intelligent people will be able to judge their own work and see the progress and faults. Of course it could take longer to see patterns than if we had guidance. I would suggest that a good creative writing course on any level is always going to be beneficial. I'd also suggest up until degree level it could be a huge step in your development as a writer if not also your career. After that it's up to what the writer wants and the values of the tutor.

I agree about surrounding yourself with the best to be the best. I used to be in some poor bands with pretty poor musicians. I was also just an okay musician. I then got asked to join a good band full of some of the best players in the city. We rehearsed every day, played good gigs, recorded etc and pushed ourselves hard. You had to keep up or it was horribly obvious. After about six months a mate form an old band came to see us play and afterwards told me it sounded like I'd gone off for three years to a music school.I hope to emulate some of that with my writing now.
  • [quote=SilentTony]You've missed my point Liz. Of course there will be prejudice as in any higher form of education. The tutor or lecturer will have their own ideas, own favourite's in the field, those they despise in the filed and so on. This will form their view on how to teach and what to teach. [/quote]

Which writers a tutor favours or despises is irrelevant to how they make YOU a better writer. Everyone has their own style of writing. I would argue that a teacher who tries to influence who you admire is not a good teacher, and a teacher who is prejudiced (except against poor writing, sloppy writing, biased writing, writing that is not true to yourself) is a bad teacher.

[quote=SilentTony]If you took away all forms of creative writing education though, are you suggesting there would be no more writers in the world?[/quote]
    [quote=Liz!]I'm not saying it's the only way, cos there are a huge number of writers out there who have never been on a course, [/quote]

Clearly not.
  • Your taking what I said and suggesting that a tutor may try and influence you based on their personal opinions. What I mean is that it's natural and inherent for a teacher of any kind to have personal opinions which both influence and prejudice them. This isn't even necessarily a bad thing either. They may have strong opinions on style, genre etc that steer you into better waters. The best teacher is only as good as the best student. So we take what we need and try to sift through what we don't. That's our responsibility as a student.

My point about no more writers was a flippant thought about what would happen if all CW courses shut down tomorrow. If every tutor refused to teach. How would people then learn to write?