Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How not to go about promoting.

edited January 2012 in Off-topic
So, March's WM arrived this morning, lovely.
Reading through it theres info a spec-fic festival. 'More info on website'

So dutifully click on their "More Info" buttons. Nothing there - no reason for me to click "buy tickets now" prompt at all.
It reminded me to check the other known specfic event by alt fiction that runs in march, and while they have more info of what is going on, when you click on "Read More" there is nothing more to read.
Dear me.

The moral of this story is - if you have some promotional stuff going out in papers, news, magazine or media... make sure your incentive to buy is sorted on your link!

Comments

• It is only January though. Why do magazines have such stupid dates on them? What IS the point of a date, if it doesn't mean anything, because it doesn't refer to when it comes out?
  • SL, it only takes one person down the chain to miss their deadline and it has a knock-on effect (as I know from working on events at my writers' club- the web end of things can and does go wrong or get delayed).
  • Oh I know Carol.
    I used to organise a free event with the council, year on year the printers left it too late to warrant promoting it!
    A web site is slightly more "Instant" however.
    A little more pressure to the day eh!
  • Fair enough, SL. Mine crashed through the letterbox this morning and I took it out of the wrapper, but I haven't read it yet.