Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The importance of being organised

edited June 2014 in Writing
Oh, if only I'd keep a note of the dates....

Only I could manage to win a prize worth 250 euro - a residential writing weekend in the Dublin mountains - to find that it's on the same dates as the Belfast City Blues Festival for which I'd just bought gig tickets and paid for a two-night hotel stay on Saturday, and spotted the email on Sunday night from the organiser to say I'd won first prize. Gutted I had to turn it down. :(

However, I did get some wonderful, detailed feedback from the judges on my work which was very uplifting.

Comments

• Congratulations on your win. Such a shame you can't claim your prize.
  • Omg - not surprised you were gutted. What a great prize. I'd have happily masqueraded as you. Try not to dwell and have a great time in Belfast.
  • Congratulations. But I'm sure you'll enjoy your planned trip.
  • What a bummer, Seaview - but congratulations!
    Any chance of putting it off until the next Dublin thing?
  • No!!!!!!!!!! But on the other hand: Yes!!!!!!!!!!
  • Oh, that is a shame. Could you ask to be transferred to the next writing weekend?
  • Yes, a bummer - but: CONGRATULATIONS!

Reminds me of the time I was shortlisted and invited (with my OH) to the Oxford Literary Festival with all the trimmings including the black tie dinner when the winner would be announced. I was still in Fiji - with my flight to the UK arranged a mere couple of weeks after the jamboree - and I couldn't change my flight! Both OH and I were gutted. :(

TN's suggestion sounds worth a try...
  • Well done!
    What a shame!
    Do try to change the writing weekend - you never know!
  • Congratulations! It's a shame to miss the prize, but you never know what else might result from winning.
  • Unfortunately it's an annual competition and the winner each year gets a place on the workshop, so I can't use the prize at another time, but it has taught me a lesson. Here is the announcement... http://carouselcreates.wordpress.com/2014/06/15/winning-haiku-poet-2014/
  • It's a shame they can't change it. I suppose it's unavoidable unless you assume you'll win everything you enter and keep space in your diary for all the award ceremonies and free holidays, etc. - a little impractical, I'd have thought!

Still, many congratulations for winning the competition!
  • I know - I didn't think for a minute I'd win it when I sent it off, Dan - sometimes entering competitions and submissions deadlines are the only things that prompt me to write. That's why I'm indebted to Patsy with her fantastic blog! :)
  • Congratulations Seaview. I believe that's what is known as "Law of the Sod". If it's an annual competition, could you request a place on the following year's course? It seems like too good an opportunity to pass by.