Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Current TV Programmes

Comments

• dora said:
    Nope, Lizy. It’s Wednesday today, duckie. 
    This reminded me of how some people in Lincolnshire where we now live call people duck or duckie 🙂
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2023
    In Bristol you are 'my luv-errrr'. As in, 'All roit my luvverrr?' If you get off the bus you have to say, 'cheers drive'. 
  • Yes, my Somerset uncles would say 'me luverr'. 
  • Not quite current, but the old 'Come Dancing' is on BBC4 at 7 on Sundays and on iplayer. I was watching last week's semi-final yesterday, from 1979. All the females look about 40 but are in their teens and teh disco section was hilarious. I was a teenager then and I didn't see anyone dancing like that. Anyway, entertaining and good for a laugh if you need one.
  • I will miss the masked singer programme now its finished!

Really enjoy that silliness, bit of fun which makes such a change from the usual doom and gloom on TV.

Especially LOVED Ricky Wilson.
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2023
    heather said:
    Not quite current, but the old 'Come Dancing' is on BBC4 at 7 on Sundays and on iplayer. I was watching last week's semi-final yesterday, from 1979. All the females look about 40 but are in their teens and teh disco section was hilarious. I was a teenager then and I didn't see anyone dancing like that. Anyway, entertaining and good for a laugh if you need one.
    That sounds wonderful - my mum loved that programme. I always watched ToTP in fascination at the dancing - if I lifted a foot off the floor I fell over (I think it's something to do with my ears), and I just have no sense of rhythm whatsoever. It's a real handicap to dancing! In fact we watched ToTP live looking down from a window in Television Centre in the early 80s... and went to one of the bars after to see all the stars. There was always Morecombe and Wise and people like that in the cafe bars up there. I never asked for an autograph - it seemed too intrusive o their place of work whee everyone else was ignoring them.
  • I know what you mean about not wanting to instrude, Liz. I once had drinks in a bar at TV Centre - we'd watched an episode of a programme in which the actress I charred for was acting. All those well-known faces and it's hard not to stare.
  • Loved the Endeavour finale last night. So touching. (No spoilers in case you haven't seen it yet!)
  • It was good. The final scene was brilliant. 
  • Enjoyed the episode and sad to think now all the Morse programmes and spin-off series have ended. You may think the murder count could now recede in Oxfordshire but we have several local authors using locations for their crime scenes, not to mention the Midsomer Murders that stray over the border.
  • Is it being screened again this week? the last episode, I mean.
  • edited March 2023
    It will be on itvx, if you can get that. I don't think they'll be screening it again on itv.
  • Loved it and the documentary they showed later.
  • I've recorded that
  • Really enjoyed gardener’s world today
  • Always know spring is almost here when the new series of Gardeners' World starts.
  • Have seeds all ready to sow after watching Monty last night. The garden is currently quite colourful with a display of bulbs but the borders are lacking colour later on. I love sowing seeds as it always seems such a hopeful activity. Planning for the future.
  • I love seeing his dogs on that programme. 
  • Because been not well recently so have been goggle box watching Corrie

What utter rubbish plots. Clues so obvs what’s going to happen next  So transparent. Sarah is obvs going to get pregnant and there will be a question as to who the dad is. Stephen knocks off Rufus but his tie pin will be found at the scene.

oh well never mind. 
  • Agree re Sarah. Second one, I think it will either get blamed on Paul or Michael. I like Corrie, but mainly for the little stories around the bigger plots, which can drag on interminably.
  • Yes. Agree some of them go on a bit. I enjoy the attempts to include some light hearted moments with some of the writing. 

Finding that bar maid that seems to shout all the time a little irritating. Maybe she’s used to working on a stage and is used to projecting her voice to ensure all can hear her.  

I sometimes watch Emmerdale and one thing I find curious is why does that vehicle in the opening credits drive so fast down a village street?  Seems excessive speed for such a small village. 
  • Jodie Prenger, who plays Glenda, is a singer and stage actress. I don't mind her in it.

I don't watch Emmerdale. My mother in law loved it and whenever we stayed with her, every time it came on in the evening she asked me 'Do you watch Emmerdale?'. Every time. It became (and still is) a bit of a catchphrase.
  • That reminds me of my mum's catchphrase. When we went to visit she always bought lots of fruit -and loads of bananas. Trouble is none of us really eat (or didn't at that time) bananas. After every meal she would suddenly rush out and rush in with a forlornly ignored bunch and ask if we wanted a banana. If we declined, she always said 'but they are very nice bananas'. Now if someone doesn't want something, we always say, 'but they are very nice ---'.
  • I'm enjoying Race Across the World, one of the few TV programmes I'm interested in. Mrs B watches a lot of dramas and it got me thinking how bare the TV schedules would be without anything to do with the police, fictional or otherwise!
  • Watching listening singing dancing to Summer of 76. When heatwaves were generally unknown. 

I’ve been lying in the arms of Mary and thoroughly enjoyed seeing cheeky Dr Hook again. 

But for now don’t go breaking my heart. Please. 
  • edited July 2023
    Not watchin nuffink .  Telly orft.
  • dora said:
    Watching listening singing dancing to Summer of 76. When heatwaves were generally unknown. 

I’ve been lying in the arms of Mary and thoroughly enjoyed seeing cheeky Dr Hook again. 

76 of course being the first of the heatwaves. I can remember the melting tarmac. The cheesecloth tops which were the only thing I could countenance wearing, being washed every day and hung out to dry in a few minutes...
  • Vivid memories of '76 summer as I was pregnant and already had a lively two year old to look after. There were also issues with our water supplies which added to the challenges. I don't enjoy heat at the best of times.
  • Liz said:
    dora said:
    Watching listening singing dancing to Summer of 76. When heatwaves were generally unknown. 

76 of course being the first of the heatwaves. I can remember the melting tarmac. The cheesecloth tops which were the only thing I could countenance wearing, being washed every day and hung out to dry in a few minutes...
    I can remember sitting outside at primary school and the chairs were sinking into the tarmac that had softened in the heat.
  • Yes! The pavements beating heat up into your face. The grass all crisp and yellow. Having to water the flowers with washing up water. We didn't get standpipes in Dorchester, but other areas did of course. I am also not a fan of heat but I can manage it now better than I could then.
  • Sitting in the garden with a friend, drinking elderflower champagne, while our six little ones splashed in a blow up paddling pool.
  • Watched 24hours in A&E recently. A 70yo man was the patient they concentrated on most, they thought he was dying from a guy problem and did exploratory surgery, whiçh showed nothing wrong there. Eventually he recovered. Phew!
    We were told later that he was a diabetic who probably took double insulin by mistake. I've been wondering ever since why on earth they didn't check that before anything else? The fact that he was an insulin dependent diabetic must have been on his notes, surely?
  • What? They should have checked his sugar as soon as he arrived. Double insulin he would have been unconscious, probably! honestly the diabetes scenarios are always ludicrous. People coming in unconscious with a 'hypo' and being given insulin - people who have been out for some time and not having given themselves their insulin being given sugar... you really do need to be your own advocate.
  • Shocking, isn't it? I spotted the error and I'm not even diabetic! He looked absolutely dreadful, barely coherent, the doctor said he was 'dying in front of our eyes'. When they told us at the end that he was diabetic I thought at once they should have checked. He was merely grateful to be alive.
  • Surprising they didn't check his medical records. 
  • Exactly!
  • Carol said:
    Surprising they didn't check his medical records. 
    Probably a combination of being busy and thinking along tramlines that doctors are wont to do.
  • edited August 2023
    Dorset on telly reet now!  (Sunday 6pm)
  • I enjoyed Dan Walker and Helen Skellen walking around the Pennines and realised I’ve been to most places on that programme. Ahh, memories. 

Tiepin saga on Corrie ends up as I predicted.  As did Sara’s pregnancy. 

Watched The Others again tonight. Couldn’t watch the end. Too spooky. 
  • Watched 'Profile' on Netflix. Based on a true story, a journalist poses as a young girl interested in going to Syria and we see how she infiltrates the process of recruitment. It was edge-of-your-seat stuff! 
  • dora said:
    I enjoyed Dan Walker and Helen Skellen walking around the Pennines and realised I’ve been to most places on that programme. Ahh, memories. 

Tiepin saga on Corrie ends up as I predicted.  As did Sara’s pregnancy. 

Watched The Others again tonight. Couldn’t watch the end. Too spooky. 
    We`re watching the Pennines programme now off the recorder.

The Others is a great supernatural horror film.
  • Watched The Confessions of Frannie Langton on Monday and yesterday. The tension is palpable - I keep waiting for them to get caught and all hell to break loose!
  • I've recorded that.
  • Apart from Gardeners' World on a Friday night, I'm not watching much TV.
  • edited October 2023
    I, c. 1952 was told to sit and wait in the lounge at the house where my Mum worked. 
        'You can watch television,' said her employer doing something to the oblong box opposite me. There was no telly at home. The screen illuminated was grey, and divided by thin, white, horizontal lines. In those days there were no afternoon programmes and the vigil of about an hour seemed like forty eight at least! Unsurprisingly I've never wanted a telly.
  • I’m not watching much atm except for a few quiz shows.  Telly off atm. 
  • I do like a bit of telly
  • The older I get the less TV interests me. These days I mainly watch factual and travel programmes on TV  and years ago got fed up with TV news which is often a narrow and highly curated view of what is really going on. Can`t stand quiz shows and most of so-called dramas.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos now: long form interviews, travel and aviation videos especially.