Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Copyright - Internet breaches - Yvonne Morrison

edited December 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I don't suppose anyone knows the New Zealand writer Yvonne Morrison do they? After discovering the breach of my own copyright, thanks to the post by Carol, it is a subject I feel rather strongly about. I have received a Christmas greeting from someone in Australia which is a poem written by Yvonne Morrison. 'Twas the night before Christmas'. No author was mentioned so I did a search of the first line and found not only is it by Yvonne Morrison, but is is peppered over the internet. I decided to contact her but can find no direct contact details. The poem is published as a children's book and I would have thought it was well worth protecting the copyright.
  • I love that poem. I remember reading it to my brother every Christmas Eve when he was younger. My search didn't credit Yvonne Morrison as the author though. How old is she? The poem has been around as long as I have!
  • I think there is a stage, after many many years, when poems can be quoted without permission.  I may be wrong.
  • Clement Clarke Moore was the original author and many versions and spoof spin-offs have come from it. I even found a PC one but it was too long to post here - besides, I've declared myself a PC free area for the festive season :)
  • I haven't heard of this poet (but poetry is not my thing)but it does seem that it is an area where poets really have a problem.
    If you are certain you want to trace the writer, then contacting the publisher who has produced her book, and they may be able to pass a message on.
    While protecting your own copyright is important, others have to be aware and do this for themselves too. 
  • Sorry that was me, I forgot to log on first.
  • Clement Clarke Moore certainly wrote the version I remember.
  • Apparently he wrote it in 1822.  So does that mean it's ok to quote it without permission?  I don't know.
  • I doubt he'll sue if you do...
  • copyright extends for 75 years after the author dies, I think.
  • THis is definitely her work, the whole first two lines are
    "'Twas the night before christmas; there wasn't a sound.
    Not a possum was stirring; no-one was around."

I did an internet search on the whole string, she is the only one that comes up and I found an fairly recent interview with her, she is not that old.
  • Sorry I should have made clear which one at the start. I have now found the publisher and emailed them.
    Thanks all.
  • What I'm unsure of on copyright is whether the 75 year rule is the same in every country in the world.
    Music does have different rules between the UK and America.
    But obviously if the poem was her version then she has copyright of her version.
  • (I should add that's 75 years from the writers death.)
  • In a way Yvonne Morrison has already nicked the 'tune' from the original.
  • Might be in the public domain now. I think Tom & Jerry did it as well.
  • The words of her book are not in the public domain. She may have used the basis but the words other than the first half dozen are definitely hers. I write new words to existing music quite often, its the same sort of thing. I do get permission if the music is being used and still in copyright I hasten to add.
  • I thought copyright ended 70 years after the authors death, we're all about there give or take.  But what I'm bothered about is who sent to you in the first place Mutley.  Not wishing to spread paranoid tendencies but that would worry me a tad.
  • It is someone I am in touch with tracing the family tree. I don't really know them very well and I am still deciding what i should respond with. I do want to make the point but I want to do it in a way that doesn't lose the connection.