Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing without thinking

edited December 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• When words come to the mind, almost like dictation, is it right to claim the credit for the story.  This is a dilemma I face.  Any thoughts?
  • Yes it is.  They are your thoughts unless you work with spirit as I do, when you know it is someone else's.
  • Absolutely. Writing without thinking about it is a good way to get creativity flowing. I sometimes find the more I think the harder it is to write what I mean to be saying. So I stop consciously thinking and just write what comes into my head. It can be very liberating and produce quite wonderful results sometimes. It is still my work but my inner critic tends to be switched off.
  • Couldn't agree more, it is the words of your subconscious.
  • Stream of consciousness?

Where do thoughts come from anyway?
  • Who knows, the brain is a very complex organ, and we don't know what it all does, only some of it.
  • I was writing a poem the other day and got quite upset when I realised my main character in it died. I just hadn't seen it coming.
  • I don't really understand the term 'stream of consciouness' is it a river in the land where writers get ideas?  As for thoughts I always reckoned they were brain waves, in my case distorted or missing.  I'm not sure whether my story is coming from the spirit world or not.
  • Finally I've had a chance to log in as myself.  I didn't log in a moment ago and it said I was Tracy.  Ho-hum.

Anyway, Stephen King has a theory that all stories already exist in the ether and they float around for a while until they find the right person to bring them to life, ie write them.  I think it's a nice theory and goes some way to explaining what's happening when you write something and then think, hey did I just write that?  I don't remember that.

Claim credit for it by all means.  The story might already exist on its own terms but the words are yours.