Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help wanted urgently with children's story

edited December 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I am in desperate need of help with my children's story. I am self-publishing it (very shortly) and, although I have had lots of kids read it and have had them and their parents comment on it for me, I am getting a feeling that there may be something in the first two chapters that isn't quite right but that folks aren't telling me about. I need someone with kids to look over these two chapters for me and tell me if they see anything strange or not quite right for children of the 8+ age group. Any takers, please?
  • My children are teens now but I've been writing for children 8+ for some years.  I'd be happy to read it if you want to email it as attachments. You can put me on your list of possible readers.  See who else responds.
  • Happy to go over it with my daughter if you send it - she'll tell it as she sees it as I know through experience!!
  • Would love to help but have no kids.  Sorry.
  • Thanks so much for your responses. I'm writing to those who offered to help. How wonderful to be able to call the cavalry when I need them. :)
  • I know a very literate 10 year old who may be able to help you out. Send me a copy and state by when you would like the feedback.
    E
  • One of my daughters is 11 and loves reading. I'm sure she would be happy to read it. xxx
  • Dane would read it, he's 12, and good at picking out when something is wrong.
  • Should add he's one of my sons, the one who likes writing, and reads all the time.

When you have decided how you're going to choose, you can e-mail via Webbo's system.
  • Just in case anyone didn't get the email, I've replied to all of you who offered to read the opening chapters for me, asking if you could send me a blank email to [email protected], so that I can send them to you. Maybe you could mention in the heading if you want them attached or in the body of the email. Once again thanks so much for your help. I'm so glad I discovered Talkback. :)
  • Hi Allie, your thread intrigued me and now i'm waiting with bated breath to see how you got on. Any chance, when you get the time of course, in letting us know how you got on? Apologies if you have done so via another thread.
  • Allie hasn't posted for a while Warchild - think she might be preparing to self-publish her book.
  • By the way, Jon's said that it's safe to 'whisper' e-mail addresses.
  • I thought I'd bring this up to see if anyone knew what the outcome was with this.
  • Gina, Allie has published a beautiful hardback book, "The Fairytale Quest".

She very kindly sent copies to those of us on TB (and our offspring) who commented on her original draft. She took on board the feedback, positive and negative, and has a book I'm sure she is proud of. (She also included the names of the children who provided the feedback in her acknowledgements which was a lovely gesture.)
  • Yes, I must let here know what my son thought- he really liked it. I still haven't read it yet.
  • ^ for Gina
  • I'll try and see if I can find a copy, just to be nosy and see what fellow TBers have written. :)