Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Please, I need advice!

edited December 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I had been writing my first novel for a whole year but for some reason have lost the rhythm and confidence in writing the last chapter.  I have only written a few hundred words in the last three months.
    Does anybody have any advice on how I can get the encouragement back to completing the first draft?
  • Did you have the end planned out, or was it a vague idea?
  • I had planned all the chapters but the ending.  I have many ideas for it but I just can't get it right.
    Alana
  • This may be one of those times when you need to put it away and think about it.
    I've always found that if you get on with something else and allow your brain to work on it-it will give you an answer.
    Or you read through and see what seems right- you can change it later if it isn't.
    I know the others will have ideas, so good luck.
  • you could try a major revision effort, I find when I do that, I want to get on with the rest of the story.
  • Yes, I would definitely put it away for a while. But if you've already done that, or feel that you've done so little on it this would make you feel worse, why not write one of your endings? You will soon see if it feels wrong and can then write another one. Just getting it finished, though, will be a real morale-booster.
  • I quite often do what Dorothy suggested but I always make a copy first, so that if I muck it all up rather then improve it, I can always revert back to the original.
  • I second Carol's suggestion: do something else to free your mind.  For me, it has to be something physical that doesn't demand a great lot of thinking. All my best problem solving happens while I'm walking the dogs (briskly): somehow the physical movement unblocks the mental channels!
  • I find showers with lovely smelly toiletries always work.
  • Be brave.  Set out to write three or four different endings. Make up some really wild ones.  I usually find that from several alternative endings, I develop a really good ending.  There is no need to write it word for word, just brainstorm some ideas What if this character did this?  Change locations. I am sure you will find the solution.  Good luck
  • What I do when I get stuck, is sleep on it. I try and have an early night, plug in my iPod, and "act out" my characters in my head.  I put them in situations that aren't always in the book, and usually I can "unstick" them.