Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I think I've lost the knack

edited September 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Ok I am not suffering writers block, if anything I have more ideas than you would care to shake a stick at - but I just can't seem to get them down.  My writing is awful at the moment, I can't think of words, my structure stinks and its driving me insane.  I can't even get my head together to collate my notes.

ARGH

Sorry just had to vent.
  • I sympathize. We all get this I'm sure. The best advice seems to be the most common and that is to just keep going. You'll have to rewrite it but there's little else you can do. There is an alternative and that is to put aside what you are currently working on and start on something totally different. Then, when your brain has returned to normal, come back to your original project. All sounds very glib doesn't it? It does when ever I read that as someone's advice, and here I am repeating it myself. Anyway good luck for the future.
  • join the club. I have been several weeks without serious work, about four lines last night, at the very most.  So much work to do, and nothing but nothing coming in the way of a flow of work. I have six projects running at the moment.

I think the only thing is to keep writing, even if it is rubbish, so that when this awkward period passes, you can revise the 'rubbish'. My guide and I wrote half a lecture for his book last night, then he came to me when I was in bed saying "Cariczanaria, that was not good, was it?" I said "No, it was pretty bad but we have a foundation, and can work on it tomorrow." which seemed to satisfy him.  And yes, we can work on it tomorrow (today) because the foundation is there.  Don't worry, it's a phase and all will come right.
  • Try jotting all these random ideas down no matter how disjointed.
    I've always found in situations like that it's because there is so much swirling about my brain that I can't concentrate on anything properly.
    Once you start to clear 'the files' in a manner of thinking, hopefully things will revert to normal.
    But write even if it's bad. It can always be improved.
  • While I respect the advice about carrying on writing anyway, I'm not sure that it works for everyone - when my writing goes bad, it puts me off completely, makes me lose confidence, and if I carried on, I'd just convince myself that I'm in the wrong business. What works for me is to do something differently creative, e.g. paint or even garden. Or at least switch to a different writing project/genre to loosen up again.  For example if you're stuck in adult prose, try and write poetry for children.

Another tip I recently saw in WM was to set out to  deliberately write the worst piece of tripe you've ever written! From that intention, the only way is up.
  • I agree with all of the above but sometimes, when you're getting really frustrated with yourself, it might help to go off and do something completely different for a short time - clean the house - walk the dog or, and I find ths one helps me most, read a book - or something in the same vein as you're trying to write. It might just get those creative juices running again and we all know how good that feels :)
  • Aww thanx folks.  I think to be honest it is because I have too much running round my head, I was hoping that once school started back it would be easier, but what with the weekends now being taken up with football and just making sure the uniforms are washed and the kit is ready and Liam hasnt forgotten anything.  I think Im still a bit worn out.
  • I can sympathise I have been going through a bad patch for the last couple of weeks.  I havent managed to add anything to my novel.
    I keep adding notes to my journal and write a load a rubbish that just has nothing to do with anything Aghhhhhh

I think the problem is I have just too much to do at the moment.  At least I have finished redoing the covering for the crib for my expected grandchild.  It looks really sweet, lemon check with white broderie anglaise.

Now maybe I can concentrate on the novel.
  • To think only the other week I was boasting about achieving 3,000 words a day - since I came back from holiday on Monday, I've struggled to put together 1,000 a day. There's definitely something to be said for continuity - writing at the same time every morning, (or whenever is the best time for you).

I'll let you in on a secret. When I can't get going, I write a sex scene between 2 characters I really like in whatever novel I'm working on. Maybe I won't end up using it the book - maybe the characters won't get it on together in reality, but it sure as hell fires up my writing. Safe to say I've been working on a lot of sex scenes this week!!

Luv Kaz
  • You know what Kaz I thought it was just me that did that.  A lot of the stuff I write (well the horror anyway) is driven by an underlying sexual frustration, so sometimes my characters get it on purely to relieve their tension (well thats my excuse anyway!!)
  • NC, I know how you feel! All those tiny little jobs that are barely worth mentioning (at least husband & children don't seem to think so...) just sap most of Mother's energy throughout the day, till there's barely enough left to watch telly with.  And every time you think you have a clear day to dispose of as you wish, there's some really urgent emergency, because daughter TOLD you yesterday that she needs more shampoo, and no, of course she can't use your horrid cheap Tesco's own brand.
  • I'm totally with you NC. There's a lot of sexual tension in my novels as well - let's hope our readers don't think it's autobiographical!
  • ^^ good point!
  • Nephilims child, you're not alone! I've had the same problem.  Thought I'd get straight back to writing once school started, but no.  Had loads of ideas running around in my mind, loads of comps I wanted to enter, but the last 2-3 weeks I've just been in a muddle, unable to pick one project to concentrate on. Plus there's the usual end-of-school-holiday mess in the house to clear up.  It's only this week I've managed to get 700 words down, but I've really had to make myself sit down and do it, and ignore all the housework.  Hope you get settled back into your writing routine soon.
  • For what it's worth, with no great works to my name, I tend to write what I am doing, or what I am about to do, out of frustration.

e.g. It didn't seem to be getting any better, so I turned on my computer and logged onto my favourite forum.  Surely somebody was going to be online, waiting to offer me succour and advice?

It's a bit trite, but it lights the fire again as you imagine the help that you may get back.  You end up solving a lot of your own problems that way IMHO.

Obviously, you'll have to keep to the viewpoint and tense of your story for it to be a useful exercise, and keep you in the groove!  You just cut out the stuff you don't want when you snap back into it.

...and, of course, we are here for each other :-)
  • me to I am trying to get the energy to write my 'world changer' except that at the moment I have a bit of an idea, also I have written my suppose out did last year actually which I think could help.

My advice apart from reading stories and novels, as well as any good writing book or magazine that does help to, is to draft a suppose for your story or novel and follow that loosely it helps if its good.
                      Phil.

• If I've got time but can't actually write I try to do something productive towards my writing such as printing off details for forthcoming comps or researching new markets, so that either something like a deadline might inspire me to start or at least when I do start again I have a firm objevtive to aim for.
  • I know this isn't quite your problem, but if I want to write and can't think of anything to say, I choose a number, go to that page in the dictionary, and hope there's a word which inspires me. I've written quite a lot of flash fiction like that.
  • Is there summit about?? I also have been unable to write recently. ok, being on TB doesn't help but I suppose it is writing. My novel has ground to a halt with only a few hundred lines added over about 3 weeks. Kaz, those steamy scenes must work for you, u little minx, down from 3000 to 1000, I dream of such quantity at the present. I'll try your tip, here, just to see how I get on.

She walked up to George and planted a big, juicy kiss on his double chin.  Naah,  nothing. Oh well.
  • Just a suggestion NC , but instead of trying to relate your current writng to a period when it was excellent, could you perhaps try just writing for the moment and not looking back.
    That can be very frustrating. I think we all hit peaks and lows if we are honest.Possibly even biological reasons, I have no idea, but it is a reality for most writers that are human.

If you could just accept your writing as it is at this particular moment in time, the frustration will go and you will find pleasure in your writing once again which will posibly lead you back to a writing peak, where it all comes together again.

Failing that try three bottles of mulled wine and a dash of amaretto.Your writing will then look amazing.
  • I wonder too if there is something about, I haven't been able to settle to writing in the last month or so either...
  • Me either?...neither?...nor have I

See
  • Aegean I don't think it was ever excellent!  I'm slowly getting my head around it again, but I think I might even take a break completely till after Christmas, my head is spinning as it is with trying to sort out the kids presents (I do wish my daughter would stop believing in Santa - trying to explain he's on a budget this year has been a nightmare).
  • That's a good idea, Jay.  I think I'll try that sometime.
  • okay why don't you try and write about that it will probably be a best seller because every child in the world believes in santa and will like reading it if you make it enjoyable.

You could start by having her talk or say something to you which could then spring board the rest of the story of.

Phil.
  • I was going through exactly the same feelings and just couldn't think of anything to say. Then I read Billy Hopkins novel, 'Whatever Next?'  Although its 'oldie' he writes in detail of what it was like to write his first book.  Immediately, I got out my notebook and started to scribble.  Nothing serious done yet, but sometimes reading about other writer's problems helps.
  • Thats a good idea. I am just completely restless at the mo and I can't decide on genre or whether I can write fiction at all or not!!! In fact my mind won't settle on anything for very long at all!! I know I still want to write in one form or another cos i have an urge to get things down on the computer. I just can't focus!! Maybe i've lost confidence and if I can there's no easy way to get it back!!!
  • Neph, this advice worked for me when i had four series running around my head. Put on some hyper music, take a piece of paper and a pencil /biro, and scribble madly on it, anything you like, it doesn't even need to be words. That sometimes helps the mind ping the ideas onto paper.
  • Tessa I think half the problem is that I have too much going round in my head. I need a break of somesort, but can't see that one on the horizon anytime soon. But that does sound like an idea.
  • Thank you all so much. Earlier in the day i had been thinking i need to think of old methods of getting ideas I used to use. Perhaps dig out my old idea book I used to use. Then by reading some of the posts on this thread and others I realised exactly what I needed. Quick fixes. Simple ideas to get me going. Like the one Jay suggested about the dictionary. Well I used this idea (except I didn't choose a random page number or a dictionary. I just opened my magazine on a random page and got a word and wrote a v short piece about it. Thats what i'm focusing on for a while. Very short pieces to get me back into the story telling habit again. It felt soooooo good so thanks guys. You've really started me on the right track. Hope it continues. xx
  • When there is too much in my head, I use a pen and paper as a sort of syphon. Simply capturing all the ideas and all the things to do and all the worries, so that there is space to start thinking again. You haven't lost any of the 'stuff' but it isn't then getting int he way. In some regards it's a bit like the 'pensieve' in Harry Potter that captures all the memories. Sometimes you need to do the equivalent of 'defragmenting your computer's hard disk' but to your brain instead.
  • When I can't seem to write anything I resort to a kind of diary where I just scribble my thoughts - sometimes I give vent to my frustration about not being able to write. Or I try to record my dreams. It reassures me that I can still put words together and sometimes it helps me back into my "proper" writing.

Another thing that can help, but don't know if it would work for others... I usually find dialogue much easier to write than anything else. So when I'm stuck I just scribble my characters' words and don't bother about the bits between.

Not that these things always work - sometimes it just seems to be a matter of time...
  • Yes, I agree with Rosalie about the diary. Apart from anything else it keeps you writing day to day and it's something solid and real to write about. I pour a lot of private feelings into it, which can be useful. It doesn't have to be pages and pages, just a paragraph will do, but at least you are writing and keeping in the habit.

NC have you ever tried meditation? Even in a busy schedule you can usually find five or ten minutes and it is a good way to calm your mind clear your thoughts.
  • edited February 2008
    Tried it more than once with no success, although I have gone from a brain full of muddle to absolutely nothing of late. The biggest problem I have is I can be a little too organized in my life and if it doesnt run quite to schedule I find I panic and lose the plot completely.

Maybe sending the kids to boarding school and the husband to work away during the week might help.
  • I've been having similar problems intermittently (recently since the menopause hit). My concentration has gone to pieces, I have problems getting to sleep and it is really mucking up my writing. I need 8 hours sleep a night to function as a human! And I have not been able to get more than 6 hours a night at the moment.
    I think I need to improve my diet to help.
    I have the ideas, but doing things with them has been hopeless. I think I'm going to have to set myself a target each week, and try that way.
  • Have you tried camomille tea in the evening? Or Horlicks? I love Horlicks. Always relaxes me.
  • No I don't like tea of any sort MDD. Horlicks yuk.
    I do drink drinking chocolate, but I avoid a lot of liquid at night or I have to get up- my bladder has never quite recovered from having the triplets!
    My hormones are probably all over the place.
  • Big hug Carol - sorry I've nothing more constructive to offer x
  • Thanks CC, it's been a bad day today- boys arguing over the usual minor stuff, but they were getting really worked up about it.
    I'm starting to feel tired now, so I'll go to bed, and hopefully I will drop off- not the bed hopefully. :D
  • I can empathise with so much that has been said on this thread.
    I've been going through a bad patch with my writing for a while now.
    I've just had too many things going on, some upsetting (dealing with hubby's parkinson's problems) and some joyful (new grandson).
    There are so many helpfull suggestions on this thread that I think I'll go back and reread them.
    :-)
  • A big hug from me too Carol.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm feeling brighter today, but rushing around as normal during half term- oh for Monday when quiet descends.