Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• I am reading Nicholas Sparks The Notebook- very slushy...loveit
  • I'm reading the Twilight series, and it's brilliant, much better than I was expecting
  • Excellent one Jenny !
    I am reading a Nick Hornby - but it's so ungripping I have even forgotten the title. Nothing like The Long Way Down.
    Oh and I just read Jo Brand's autobiography yesterday. Enjoyed that even though I don't usually read "celeb" stuff.
  • Ah but Jo Brand is special, Lexia. Such a dry wit.
  • I've just finished reading Elizabeth Buchan's 'Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman'. I thought it was a terrible title and I'm wondering if it was called that because no one could think of anything else. The book has a very common theme - long-suffering wife is undeservedly cheated on and then abandoned by husband. However, I thought the writing was so good and I really enjoyed it. Will read more of her books.
  • Mutley, I had to read your author's name twice. Surely just her surname could have told you what her writing was like? No wonder she double-barreled it!
  • Oops - no the author is Jane Gardham - the book is 'Bilgewater' - I may have missed a bit of puctuation!
  • Started reading Warrior by David McQuinn and know I am not going to go on with it. It's a pale imitation of Jean M Aul's Earth Children series and is annoying me with its errors,
    several wrong it's
    and Peddlers for Pedlars. All through the opening chapters. It's also stiff, the characters are cardboard and the ethos doesn't work. Too much explaining going on.
  • Hmm. Could it be a self published item, Dorothy?
  • Finished The Notebook, loved it had a nfew tars in my eyes when i finished
    Just started Angelas Ashes
  • don't think so, Dwight, but I'll check when I get home. It's a HUGE hardback book, the flyleaf says he has been published before and that is the first book of a trilogy.
    I think a publisher wanted to cash in on the Earth Children saga, and got a second rate book because of it. Truly there is nothing like the original, is there?
  • Dwight, it's a Random House book ...
  • Then after that you must read 'Tis, Jenny. I believe there has been some controversy over whether it's true to fact or not - but who cares? It's a good story.

I am reading "half of a yellow sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (no, I hadn't read her before either !) It's set in 1960's Nigeria - civil wars and such. Great stuff but I am slow in reading it as the names are so difficult to pronounce in my head !. I have tried to skim read the names, but it spoils the flow of reading.
  • Jamie Oliver's magazine.
  • I finished Breaking Dawn (book 4 in the Twilight Saga, or book 5 if you put the new one - The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - in its proper place, between Eclipse and Breaking Dawn) yesterday, after reading the series in preparation for the Eclipse movie release next weekend. Though I've read the series about 10 times, I still got all tense or happy or emotional - or even full on weepy - at certain parts. I love it. It doesn't get old. Just like Edward Cullen. ;)

Now I'm halfway through The Host (Stephenie Meyer's other book - about aliens). In its own way, this book is just as beautiful as Twiilght, just as intense. I'm just readying myself for the point where I always cry.

*SA*
  • May I pass you an extra large Kleenex (not used) SA?
  • Yep. I needed a tissue on my lunch break in work today. Got to the bit where I always cry, and I really had to hold back the bawling. I'm sure my workmates would've thought I'd lost it if I'd started sobbing at my desk. Finished The Host before, and now I'm all at loose ends, reading wise. The good thing is that, as I'd expected, reading the Twilight series has jumpstarted my writing brain, which has been lazily snoozing away for the better half of two months. I wrote 2000 words on Wednesday, after having only scribbled a few hundred words a week since just before I moved house. Feel quite good about that.

*SA*
  • I finished 'Bullet' by Laurell K Hamilton. The timespan that her books are set over seems to be getting shorter. They'll end up like an episode of '24' in the end.

I have also read 'Death on the Nile' by Agatha Christie - even though I only watched it the other day it was still very gripping.

And I have now just started 'A Study in Scarlet' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Well done, SA. Write on!
  • After many years, re-visiting Dickens' 'Pickwick Papers'. How can people say that this guy's boring?

Some recent references on here to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. This is the one book I really wish I'd written myself
  • no way is Dickens boring, SM. I have all the books and love them. The complexity of the characters enchants me.
  • Have just finished Whitaker's Queen Mary and Peterloo Poets,U.A. Fanthorpe Christmas Poems. Started OUP Cunliffe.Barry, Prehistoric Europe.
  • In the middle of CS Lewis's 'The Screwtape Letters' at the moment. Interesting but takes a bit of concentration.
  • Those 52 tips downloaded yesterday, that Flying Tart brought to my attention.
  • Stinger by Robert McCammon.
    Love his books, like Stephen King he crams in a load of believable characters.
  • Thanks for the heads up Dorothy. I've not heard of him before now but a quick Google has made me want to read some of his work. I particularly like the sound of Boy's Life, Swan Song which could be a new The Stand and Stinger which you mentioned. Seems right up my street.
  • Finished reading A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Just about to start The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling
  • Reading 'Addition' by Toni Jordan and listening to 'The White Tiger'.
  • Brilliant books, Tony. Stinger had the 'dome' thing going on but that was not the essence of the story as it was with Stephen King. I love huge books to really get into, this was one of them. Swan Song I have now read twice and it held me as much the second time as it did the first.

Reading James Rollins, The Last Oracle. Bit unbelievable, but still ...
  • Oh he follows me on Twitter Dorothy. Really lovely fella, had a few good chats to him about his writing but never read any of his books though.
  • Just finished Yann Martel's, "Beatrice and Virgil" - totally inspirational!
  • I'm working my way through Henning Mankell's Wallander books because I write crime and the (Swedish in particular) TV series is wonderful. Mankell is an outstanding writer, and Wallander a flawed brilliant character.
  • sure I posted that |I had given up on the James Rollins, but still ... maybe I wrote it elsewhere on the board.

Reading James Jackson, Pilgrim. The children's Crusade (the basis for the Pied Piper legend) which is brilliant. Lines like:
    He studied the face, wondering at the shape it might make when forming a scream.
    Quality writing, impeccable research, good storyline, good characters. Doesn't that make a change?????
  • Finished Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy and have started Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days.
  • Celtic C- I have requested that at the library and am now very much looking forward to reading it :-)

I must give Mankell a try now you have said that cathbore.

Listening to Cloud Atlas at mo. Bit of a strang one I think. What did other people think of this one?
  • Agatha Christie: the Finished Portrait

If you ever see this book, ignore it. It's repetitive - very repetitive - and quite boring. The author takes much of his information from 'Unfinished Portrait' which is apparently AC's fictionalised version of her first marriage and the ensuing problems. He seems to think that readers have very short memories, because on many pages he mentions which real people the fictional names refer to. Over and over again!

I've read half of it and now I'm giving up. I'm glad it's a library book. I'd be very annoyed if I'd paid £9.99 for it.

There are several printing mistakes (shame on you, Tempus Publishing). There are also 29 illustrations - which sounds good, but what possessed the author to think anyone would want to see 25 black and white pictures of some of AC's
    book covers? The other four illustrations comprise two maps, a train timetable and a picture of the Harrogate hotel where she stayed when she 'disappeared' for a time in 1926.

Maybe the second half is better, but I can't be bothered to give it a chance!
  • I've finally finished Devil's Brood by Sharon Penman... really, really good but was a bit slow to start with. I still think her older books are better...she changed her writing style a bit I think but still really good book...

and now I've started Post Captain by Patrick O Brien... only read the first chapter so far but it is brilliant! I love his style, although the first chapter reminded me a lot of Jane Austen for some reason...mmm...
  • I am currently reading New Moon again, I'm revisiting the whole Twilight series again so that I can read the Bree Tanner book after Eclipse. Love this series, and I know it gets slammed, but the intensity of the characterws always draws me in, again and again. I can see me reading these books when I'm eighty!

After these I wanted to give The Notebook a try, although if the film's anything to go by, I will be crying buckets...
  • I've just started reading a biography of Richmal Crompton (author of the Just William books). It's much better than the AC one!
  • I need to get into reading again, but I don't have the right mentality nor patience in this heat.
  • Laura, I'm the same. Twilight fanatic extraordinaire. Bree Tanner is fantastic. It shows what was going on in Seattle, and also explains a few things leading in to Breaking Dawn. Enjoy!

*SA*
  • edited July 2010
    Currently reading 'The Covenant of Genesis' (3rd Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase novel) by Andy McDermott. I do love this series of books... how excited to find out the 5th and 6th in the series are already available to buy in paperback! AND, that Andy is writing the 7th now... yay.

And I'm thoroughly jealous of him ... as he became a New York Times Bestseller with his debut novel in October (as he said, debut novel from an unknown British author)
  • read Silent Scream by Lynda La Plante which was entertaining but slow and am reading The Collaborator by Gerald Seymour which is far more entertaining and definitely not slow.
  • Reading 'The Unnamed' by Joshua Ferris. Anyone else read it?
  • I would have Emma, but I arrived at the book shop trying to remember what the title of that book by Joshua Ferris was and for the life of me, couldn't, so I had to go home empty handed.
  • :-) typical
  • I'm reading Martina Cole - The Business. It feels as though I am reading an early draft that still needs a lot of editing. There is so much repetition and in places poor grammar. I wonder if she was told to make it a certain length and the book simply doesn't warrant it. Her characterization is brilliant, but I am finding the book tedious to work through as I want to take a red pen to it and cut loads of stuff out to improve the writing!
  • been there with Martina Cole, which is why I don't read her any more, Mutts, it is getting that way lately with her books, sad to say. I used to like them, a lot.
  • [quote=Emma B] typical [/quote]

Heh heh

Sophie Hannah - Hurting Distance - oi cannae purrit dane oo ar.
  • Recently finished Dan Brown's Digital Fortress - very good, couldn't put it down.

The same author the novel comparison tool said my work wass most like.