Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What went wrong with your book/article/etc?

Comments

• Has anything funny ever gone wrong with one of your pieces? It wasn't funny at the time, but the glue came out of my first book, and it fell apart in my hands. (I'm with a different publisher now.)
  • I had a letter accepted by The Times newspaper. Lifelong ambition, great excitement BUT it was about the amount of money my daughter had spent on mobile phone calls to her boyfriend while she was on a language course in Florence. She had a miserable time - groped by ancient frisky Italians, weird accommodation etc The mobile bill was greater than the cost of the language course - yes we are talking hundreds and hundreds of pounds. EEEK But as a result of the letter being published it was read out by Sarah Kennedy on Radio 2 and heard by her boyfriend's parents who then rang boyfriend etc etc. Plus I had a deluge of letters from 'disgusted of Tonbridge Wells' saying how could she possibly not have enjoyed Florence. had she no sense of culture. Well yes, but being felt up by randy old men wasn't part of the deal.
  • Another problem with my first book ...
    A couple of pages were duplicated. As if that wasn't enough, they were on top of two pages that should have gone there. And, just to cap it all, it was the very first story in the collection!
  • One of my articles was written about a family fun day out and the editor supplied the photos. However, the picture showed such a miserable looking family group, it looked as if they were facing the gallows.
  • I've written a few letters to the editors, and some of them get mangled on the way to publication so that I usually end up with negative public feedback in 'response to' my letters.  I've only ever had one letter published which retained its original integrity. 
  • This is what I was thinking of!