Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Mentor / Collaborator Wanted

edited October 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Most of my writing is done at weekends (I have an early start and late homecoming during the week). I have just started writing my first novel, but as an inexperienced writer, I have a number of concerns with regard to presentation and layout. I therefore need to get the 'technical' (for want of a better word) side of it right. I was wondering if anyone might be interested in collaborating with, or mentoring me on a fantasy novel for teenagers? I am studying a writing course, but it does not cover novels. I find it helps if I am shown examples or specimen texts and can talk one to one. I can be contacted through my website, shown on my profile. 
  • Hi Mike,
    I don't think I can help as I lack a bit of knowledge in that area myself.
    I like your web site by the way. I also write poetry. Do you own all those boats!
    ( I love Worthing, lived in Horsham and popped down there a lot, hope to go back to that area soon)
  • I'm afraid Mike most of us are too busy ourselves to take on such a task.
    I suggest you have a look at some of the books that have been recommended on other threads, or have a look at the Bookshelf listing on the left-hand column of this page.
    Obviously reading novels in your chosen genre is valuable.
    Layout is the usual indent paragraphs, double spacing, 12 point, Times New Roman.
  • I would say get your novel down whilst the Muse is with you and then consider editing and improving layout later.  Good luck with your task.
  • You could post a short extract from your novel for Talkbackers to comment on.
  • I agree with Betsie don't worry about all that til later get your ideas down first. That's what I do. ( then I get someone else to sort that out lol)
  • Hi Mike

I'm an ex-Worthing lad, now residing in Southwick. You're obviously not far from the yacht club.

I wouldn't worry much about the technical stuff. Formatting etc is something that can be corrected with a few keystrokes at the end, and you can start bashing things into shape during the inevitable rewrites. The main thing to do is to keep writing, progressing the story, and if you're worrying too much about ephemera you'll lose impetus.

Good luck!
  • Many thanks for all your kind responses. I did in fact, e-mail Jane Wenham-Jones, asking if she would take a look at the first few pages, simply to check the layout. She say's it looks fine. I will now get on with writing the story.
  • That is just the encouragement you need so keep going and good luck
  • I actually responded privately to Mike, offering to mentor. It didn't work out. Enough said. :(
  • shame , good on you though Allie