Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in December's magazines, due out 1st Nov?

2»

Comments

• Dorothy I liked your article.
    I'm going to do my bit.
    I have been going through a bad patch with my writing and keep feeling as if I will never be good enough.
    Just the act of making myself write seems to have helped a bit. I've read this advice so often but need to be reminded of the truth of it every so often.
  • Have most of you received December's WM/WN?  Mine haven't come yet - I wonder if they do send them out alphabetically?

I thought being a subscriber meant I'd receive the mags before they hit the shops, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Is your surname really Z? I assumed you were using a pseudonym.
  • Jay, my surname does indeed begin with Z.
  • No consolation Rebecca but my surname's near the start of the alphabet and my mag arrived days after it appeared in the shops (again!)
    Noticed yesterday that it says on this site, under "subscription", that we are actually "guaranteed" to receive our mag before it arrives in the shops - I intend contacting them next month if I still have the same problem.
  • What on earth's Z? Zoe, Zinnia, Zena. Zola. Or is it Xinnia? Remember how people thought it was zylophone? They had to include that as a possible answer.
  • Do I then get the impression that the warners publishers of WM and WN favour the shop market over their subscribers???
  • Over the last year I've noticed them being put out the same day our subscription copies have arrived.
    I have only had a problem with mine being late these past two issues.
    Rebecca, if you haven't received yours by tomorrow, ring the subscription department and ask for a replacement.
  • Had a conversation with our newsagent this evening re non-arrival of my WF when it has been on sale in Smiths for past week. Shop is supplied by the biggest supplier in Scotland who maintain they still haven't been able to get a single copy.
    Apparently this problem isn't confined to writing magazines and bigger outlets are routinely receiving supplies before smaller ones.
    Also found out tonight that local newsagents get Sunday papers and supplements delivered in different bundles and they have to spend a lot of time putting up to five supplements into each paper. Meanwhile the two local supermarkets get theirs delivered - same company, same time - cellophane wrapped and complete.
    I suspect if we had a Smiths in town my newsagent still wouldn't have my WF!
  • That's not surprising nowdays, the big groups have the financial clout in everything.
  • Carol, thanks for the advice.  I'll do that.

No, it's none of those, Jay.  It's Zugor.
  • I haven’t received my copy as of yet. I’ve e-mailed subscription about the problem, but apparently my orders not on their system. So looks like i won’t be receiving my issue any time soon.
  • Hi, Dean. Welcome to Talkback.
  • Hi Dean.
    Did you have a subscription number you could give them?
    I rang the subscription department to arrange my son's re-subscription to Young Writer magazine. He'd received his own copy- because he'd previously subscribed, so they obviously had that list. There was a number on the letter, but the subscription department couldn't find his details, so had to re-set it up.
    So perhaps they've been having problems with their system.
  • Thanks for the welcomes :-)

I could never find the magazine in the shops. So I decided to treat myself and get a subscription. I ordered last month on the website, the money was taken out of my account. The only confirmation I received was an email telling me I had placed the order, I was giving no number. Has anyone else had these problems before?
  • Our friends from Down Under sometimes mention the time it takes to receive their copies - but that might be when they buy them in newagent's (er ... newsagents' as it's plural??? - or would the plural be the shopS???).

Maybe the postal strike is to blame.
  • My sister had a similar problem a few months back when she first subscribed. She had to phone to chase up her first copy but it has been fine (and earlier than mine!) since.
  • Still haven't got mine - will have to phone next week and find out why, as I have no idea if I am in it or not. I was assured though that I would be under my real name, June Austin (in writers news that is)
  • You ARE in it, June. Good luck with "The Genesis of Man"
    Do you really have the answer to life?
  • No way - it just seems like a good subtitle. Must ring them up tomorrow then and find out where my copy is - they have taken my money so I want my copy !!

Will be interested to see what they say though ...
  • Have just discovered in fact they have haven't taken my money - that must be why I haven't got one then ! Will be going to Redhill this afternoon to get one !     
  • A couple of years ago I arranged a subscription to WM for one of the Vice President's (for our writers club)as a 75th birthday present.
    I rang in the first few days of May, and the subsctription began going out to her with the July issue.
  • I've just re-subscribed to WN & WM so I'll be able to read what you've all been up to from now on.
  • Got my copy at last, and I am very impressed with what has been written - it looks good and will be added to my rapidly expanding folder of press cuttings ...