Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Where are the stories/poems?

edited November 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• As a new member just asking where do we put on our stories/poems for others to read and where doe we read theirs?
  • we don't usually, this is a chat forum, not a critique forum, so there are no categories for you to post something.  If you want to start a thread with a short (very short) story for us to look at, that is probably the best way but as we are all writers desperate for time to write, you may not find that many people look at it.  I would suggest YouWriteOn or Critiquecircle or a criticism website generally if you want feedback on your work. We mostly advise on writing problems or have fun, the two things a writer needs, outside of a thick skin and loads of patience!
  • There's the potential problem for writers who wish to enter competitions that posting on a website might be regarded as 'being published already' - something which is often against competition rules.

But if you'd like to read excerpts from my books, these are to be found at

http://www.bewrite.net/bookshop/excerpts.htm

There's even a video clip for 'All About Sex'. No need to worry - it's quite respectable!

Google's Google Books also has excerpts (you'll need to do a search on "Jay Mandal").
  • Jay, I love you because you make me laugh so much!  I should promote my books like you - maybe I'd get to be as famous as you then.
  • Eek - just tell me if I'm becoming a nuisance!
  • Never a nuisance.
  • We do have a category called "Exercises and critique" which some Talkbackers use to post up excerpts of writing that they're working on, to get feedback from others. Usually this will be flash fiction, or a story synopsis, or a particularly tricky bit of prose, rather than a complete work. Some of the Talkback poets will post poems in progress in the Poetry section for comment or critique too. But the set-up of Talkback means it's not really amenable to the posting of longer pieces of work.

And, as others have said, if you do post work on here, it becomes visible to the universe. Writers preparing stuff to submit for publication or for competition entry generally prefer not to do that.
  • My mistake - the category is now called "Writing exercises".
  • That's what I was about to say, too. It can be quite hard to access, though.

You can find two stories if you search on the following topic titles:

Short Story for Anna (& Children): Critique Welcome

by Tessa Tangent

and

Comments, anyone?

by Yours Truly.