Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A question. Is it or not?

edited November 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Since a rhetorical question requires no answer  then surely it doesn't deserve a question mark..
    Now, do I put a question mark or not?
  • I would say no. Its asked to make a statement rather rather than obtain an answer.
  • Hmm, I posed this same question ages ago on another thread and got mixed replies, Marc, so in the end I went with my instinct. It depends on the tone of the speech. If it is a sarcastic rhetorical question it might require one but as you've already hinted in your post, you don't think it needs one, perhaps the tone of your character's question is more a statement. Go with your gut reaction - an editor will stick one it if he/she thinks it should be there.
  • PS. You can see the answers I was given by going into 'search' box and typing in...

Question Mark

For your info, it is dated: 17/09/2006 15:00:26
  • Thanks for the replies, people. I'm sort of thrown, too. The question was a bit tongue in cheek as I never had a doubt that it should have a question mark. Now I'm not sure. That will teach me not to be a puddin', won't it?
  • Sometimes I've put afterwards:

"More a statement than a question."

Not sure if that covers all rhetorical questions, though.
  • Well, I think it is still a question and deserves an indication of this, otherwise why not simply make the statement? It seems to me that a rhetorical question does require an answer, but one that is so obvious that it is not required to put it into words. It is aimed at having the listener realise the answer right away without need for response.
  • I agree with Allie
  • Do you. Do you?
  • My favourite rhetorical question is:

What is the point of rhetorical questions?