Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My First Rejection!!

edited November 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I received my first rejection today from the Scribbler magazine. I take on board the constructive criticism and advice. It was more tell than show with too much 'author intrusion'. Ok I'm a novice at this game and keen to learn the 'craft'. However, I passed the story around and nearly everyone said they really enjoyed it. My point is: why does it matter how a story is written as long as it is enjoyed by its readers. Not sure how my story to the Writers magazine will go down, like a lead balloon probably.   Still, my 1st rejection, it's a start.
  • It does matter how a story is written if you want to win a competition or sell it. Better luck with your next submission. Don't give up.
  • Congrats!  Join the big merry gang.  Constructive criticism is always helpful, I find.  If I am consistently being told something about my writing by several people, then more than likely, they are right and it's something I need to revisit and improve upon.  However, people who offer constructive criticism will have a subjective view as well: what I mean is, it would be difficult to change your story for every constructive criticism that you receive! At the end of the day, it's your story.  It's also helpful to put it aside for a while (a few weeks perhaps) and then look at it again with a fresh eye and with respect to the constructive criticism.
  • Good advice from MDD. Other people see the things the writer doesn't.
    Congratulations on your first rejection Marc B.
  • Hey Marc.  Was that Scribler mag or Scirbble?  If it was Scribble I congratulate you on your rejection.  Strange mags with strange stories!  Keep going al.
  • Your story may well be enjoyable but it probably just wasn't right for that magazine. Some great stories get rejected because they don't quite fit the style or requirements of the mag they are sent to. Don't be disheartened. I recently sold a story that had already been rejected by 5 other magazines. They don't all want or like the same thing. One rejection is nothing - wait until you can paper the walls with them. We've all been there!
  • Better luck next time, Marc!  Once I sent a story to People's Friend and whereas they normally take a few months to let you know, they sent my story back by return post!  They obviously couldn't bear to have it on their desk a minute longer.  It was very humbling.
  • Marc, it matters a lot how the story is written, as you just realised by having it rejected!!! You are very fortunate in having constructive criticism, not just a blank rejection, which means you did better than average. Take notice of the comments, they are important and valid.  Always do Show Not Tell, it is THE way to tell a story.  Ignore friends, go with the professionals.
  • I've submiited stories to People's Friend by e-mail to have them back the same day!!!
    I suppose it's better than waiting hopefully for months like with other mags, but it does make you feel very off the mark.
    I read somewheer that a rejection is actually a sign of success - you succeeded in writing something and you succeeded in sending it off, which is a lot further than a lot of people get, so keep going and the final piece will happen.
  • I've submiited stories to People's Friend by e-mail to have them back the same day!!!
    I suppose it's better than waiting hopefully for months like with other mags, but it does make you feel very off the mark.
    I read somewheer that a rejection is actually a sign of success - you succeeded in writing something and you succeeded in sending it off, which is a lot further than a lot of people get, so keep going and the final piece will happen.
  • Don't worry Marc - rejections are painful but we all have hundreds of them.  It does matter how the story is written - you have to write what the editor wants and that's all there is to it.  Editors are God
  • They just don't have God's other good points!
  • Sorry to hear about your rejection Mark. Incidently, how long were you waiting to hear? I'm still waiting to hear about my first submission attempt, figuring no news is good news!
  • Your first rejection?  Now you're a real writer.  I agree with all the above.  Keep at it.
  • Gee, thanks guys.  It was a 'good' rejection finishing with ' I am always pleased to receive good quality writing and I would be interested in any future material you think may be suitable'. I will re-write it at some point.  I only hope I'm not too way off the mark with my novel that's 60K words in. 
  • I had two rejections from Scribble magazine then sat down with the express intention of 'tailoring' a story for just that publication. Must have got it right because it is included in the latest edition.
    Keep going Mark. Read a lot of your entries in Talkback and find you an extremely humorous writer with an engaging style. You'll get there.
  • Join the club Marc we have all been there.  Are you a member of a writer's group?  Usually the members will give honest constructive criticism, sometimes friends are afraid of hurting your feelings. I thought I would never have a story accepted but I did and it spurred me on. I wish you luck.
  • Magicman, I have the autumn issue of Scribble.  What's your story called?
  • Hi Rebecca. My autumn copy must be on its way because the latest edition I have is summer. I had better check my subscription! Therefore
    you will find the story in the last edition. The title is 'Eye of the Beholder'. Hope you like it.
  • Hmm. Can't help thinking I've written a story with the same title!
  • Hey, remember friends and family will always be kind. And rejection letters will usually be in a positive manner - so as not to appear too rude.

Okay, I'm not a published writer, but part of my business includes typing people's manuscripts, so I've read a lot of good and bad - I've also been involved in books (non-fiction) that have gone on to be published.

Now, I've had clients who have asked me to type their book because they want to get it published. They tell me that "everyone said they really enjoyed it" (recognise that phrase?) and have told them it would make a great book. I've started typing them and in all but one case, they've been terrible. I can only assume that these people didn't want to be truthful to the writer.
  • WHAT!/??
    They must be mad%**
    More fool them.    Ignore them, MarkB, ignore them with relish.    I'm sure you'll show them with the next one, or the revision.
    Tsk tut, humm.
  • I agree with B Darter. Join a writers' circle. You will get one of three things: positive feedback, negative feedback and silence. The last of these is merely a more polite form of the second. When you start getting the first, then you know you're getting somewhere.
  • Wow, magicman!  I loved Eye of the Beholder - I voted for it as my number 1 choice!
  • Wow to you too, Rebecca. Just got in from a gig tonight. Thought I would take a quick look at talkback before I went ot bed and found your comment. I would have been happy just to hear that you enjoyed it. But No1! You'll do for me darlin'.
  • Magicman, I also wrote them a letter mentioning your story.  Don't know if they'll print it.
  • Magicman,  Great story, I will vote on it once I have read the others. I did second guess the ending when he started to recall his school days. That's not a crticism, that's just me and comes from my line of work. Thank you for your comments  and I will take up your advice. Your story is a great example for me to follow.  Thanks again.  Marc
  • Congratulations on your "good" rejection - hope the acceptances come soon.
  • hi Don't be too disappointed Remember the rejections can decorate your walls, save on the wall paper.
  • Hey! just hold on a cotton pickin' minute Miss M, I ain't hoping to get that many rejections. (will I?) Oh dear.
  • That depends on how much you send out, how good you are, how it is targeted etc.
    This has been my best year yet, with six short stories accepted - accompanied by 53 rejections (I just counted, especially for you.)
    There are a lot of us out there submitting stuff and only so much publication space, so someone's got to be getting them all! :)
  • Wow, you've been really busy, Heather. Makes me wonder just what I'm doing with my time.  I must try and increase my output.
  • You have to allow for the fact that some pieces are rejected several times before being accepted or shelved - I wish I had written 59 pieces this year, but it's much much less than that!