Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do I cope?!

edited October 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I have a new kitten that's just blown away by my keyboard and associated wires.  Please give me some hints as to how I can keep the little bugger away.

Telling him to chase the dogs does not work.

Giving him a ball to chase does not work.

Strangely enough, feeding him does not work.

Even telling him he close to death does not work.  Oh look out the little sod is back!

I cannot work under these conditions, I need help.
  • Telling him to bite into live wires does not work.  He keeps missing the really live ones.
  • When my cats nag me while I am writing, I send them out of the room and close the door. They whine for a bit but soon find better things to do.
  • Thanks for the post doeraymee but Buddy is too young to be let outside.  He's only been with me a week.
  • outside? I would never put a cat outside! By "out of the room" I just meant out of the room in which I am sitting and into another room.
  • If I can find Kool Kat, I will ask his advice.
  • If he likes to play in boxes, pop him in there with a toy. Goodluck!
  • Do they still make playpens for babies? Because that would serve the same purpose as a box, but give more room.
  • doeraymee, cats are fine outside, it's just that when it's cold they avoid going out.  The cat we had when I was young would stay out all night, but the one we lost recently was very much an indoor cat.  Both liked to be outside, though, especially when it was sunny.
  • Have you tried smells? My cat stays away from anything with a strong lemon scent, and avoids my hands (and hence keyboard) if I've used strongly-scented hand cream. If that fails, post him to me, he sounds gorgeous.
  • Get a cordless keyboard & mouse?! :-)  Or maybe just a mouse for kitty to chase!
  • When our dog was a puppy she used to like playing with wiring and plugs.  We used to shut her out of the room and we also bought a spray which puppies and kittens aren't supposed to like.  Pull all plugs out first, spray, let it dry, then reconnect.  It's called "Pet Behave Training Spray".  I used to like the smell!
  • Have you got one of those wire wastebaskets? Turn it upside down over him. It'll act like a cage, but he'll still be able to move around the place. Give him some toys inside it also. :)
  • flush it down the loo. If this doesn't work take it back to petshop and exchange for goldfish.
  • cat scratching post smothered in catnip.  Used to work for mine, she used to balance on the top of it on all four paws - of course now I dont think she would be able to get one on there 'cause she's huge.
  • reat suggestions folks.  Sorry Highland Midge but for all his faults he's staying with me.

MarcB, truly awful idea, I hate goldfish.

Buddy has just performed one very useful task, and I don't mean in the litter tray.  I have never worked out how to pick up messages off my phone, but he, with one sroll across the phone, has done it for me.  Just wish I knew which button he stood on!!!
  • haha My Tina (and she's the "good" cat) is always turning the answering machine on and off. She also likes to stand on the power bar and push the button. I can always tell because all of a sudden the air purifier shuts off for no reason.
  • Well doeraymee your Tina can hardly be accused of trying to disguise her farts!!!