Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I'm now friends with the post-woman

edited October 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Are there writing groups for loners?
    The type of day-job loner who occasionally wants someone to talk to about writing, and more specifically, some people to gain feedback from?  My real-life friends read, but only read and not write, and therein lies a huge divide.  I can only fit myself into a group for a certain length of time.  Is there a network of anti-group writers out there? (and no, not on the net!)
    Thinking of that... is there anyone else awake in the UK right now? I feel like the only one.   Can anyone recommend a nocturnal writing group?

So, I’m posting my first ever thread – mainly to see what time any reply might be.
  • I'm here but not in the UK. Sorry I can't help you but I'm just letting you know you're not alone.
  • Here's a "thanks", winging it's way to you on the other side of the world  :-)
    My other half says I subtly remove myself from groups and gatherings until I eventually disappear.  My own fault really.

And Wow, ten minutes or so 'till you said hello, so I might go to bed now!  my typing's all shot and I'm starting to waffle.
  • Ni-nigh then, Hickey. Sleep tight.
  • I tried to sleep, and OK I haven't really given it much effort, but it eludes me again.
    Writing after everyone else has gone to bed is the only hope, but now the ideas and plot won’t let me lie.
    Can people survive on this little sleep?  At least the baby doesn’t wake every night anymore. 
    I’ve tried going to bed early, getting up in the dark and writing before everyone else wakes up, but then I just skive off work if I get on a roll. 
    I’ve tried writing ‘till midnight, then knocking myself out with a stiff drink, but that doesn’t work - I just wake up after a few hours and write unintelligibly bad poetry.

Hmnnn.  Going off to bed to try again
  • Join the club, Hickey. Welcome to the wonderful world of the insomniac.  I think once you have children you never have a normal sleep pattern again. Ever. The good thing is that after say, ten years, you start getting used to it.
  • Late evenings can be quiet, until the resident insomniacs arrive, joined by our friends on the other side of the world.
    Can't suggest anything suitable re groups.
    On Talkback you can pop in whenever you like for a chat or a serious writing discussion.
  • Hickey, here are some ideas for finding writing friends nearby.1) Join a writing evening course for a short while and you might meet fellow writers you get on with and can stay in touch with. 2) Our local independant bookshop stocks books and self-published books by local authors. They have small get togethers now and then. You might have a bookshop that does that near you.3)Go on a writers' retreat - one of the quiet individual "do what you want" ones. You might find someone who lives near enough to become a writing buddy. 4) Start your own writers' group? You'd probably only get one, two or three people so it wouldn't be huge.
  • Hello fellow-writer Hickey,
    for whom sleep is tricky.
    Good grief. it's a crime,
    to write such awful rhyme.
    WELCOME!
  • Send to the top!
  • Hello Hickey - you are a restless soul.  Have you tried starting up a group in your area?
  • Where did you get your green shoes, Hickey? The only time mine are green are when I come in from the garden after hubby's been cutting the grass.
  • Ha Ha! Now… I am awake! 
    …and everyone else is asleep…
    I am gleefully rubbing my hand together: as if trying to make fire with friction alone.
    Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll check them out, but now I’m off – quick, write while you can!
    I feel in a suspensey-horror mood, maybe pensive, maybe All Souls night is early… must go before They come back….

ooo, and green wellies, racing-green strappy sandals, moss coloured Doc martin's, pale suede 3.5 inch with a ribbon, emerald-fake snakeskin slip-ons...
    I always buy green shoes when I see them for sale because shoes, like one's hat, should never match any other item of clothing you may be wearing (!)
  • My sister wears red shoes and a purple hat. She wore them to a funeral once.
  • I know we've discussed this poem before but since the topic of mismatched clothing has come up I thought I'd mention it again because I love it...

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat that doesn't go,
    and doesn't suit me,
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals,
    and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
    And run my stick along the public railings,
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick the flowers in other people's gardens,
    And learn to spit.
    You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
    Or only bread and pickle for a week,
    And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats and things in boxes.
    But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
    And set a good example for the children.
    We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
    But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised,
    When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple!

- Jenny Joseph