Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Second Novel

edited October 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• So there I was last night.  Up to date with my work for University, lap top at the ready, knowing exactly what will happen in chapter one and two, and then . . . nothing.

Anyone else feel the first sentence of a new novel is the worst thing to write?.  I guess I thought nothing of it before, but now I know it can be a form of literary suicide.

Will try again tonight . . .
  • I'm stuck at the 9,000 words point.  I'd thought it all through and thought I knew my main characters and their backgrounds.

The trouble is writing the story has raised questions about my main character's relationship with another key character.

I've found myself thinking she wouldn't say that and he'd be hurt about that.
    I'm having to rethink stuff about my main character. I'm trying to write it all out in my journal.

I'm not sure how this will effect the storyline yet?
  • Stirling you need to go away from it and let your brain mull the ideas.
    Soobdoo, it can only help you, as you're now looking further into your character, and you will discover new openings that might help.
  • Claudia, I thought you'd forgotten where most of us live - usually it's the other way around - then I thought you must be suggesting to Stirling that she should write at bedtime.

By the way, what was it like when Fiji beat Wales?
  • I always write bits for the middle, or even end.  And writing a few bits and pieces about the character's traits always helps me and of course the usual what-if scenario whenever I get stuck.
  • I don't think I've ever done a 'what if?' scenario! Or maybe it's an unconscious thing.
  • Stirling, you know what? A lot of pro writers actually write their opening sentence last. Because as you say, it's the hardest thing to write. And do well. From my own experience, I would say just plunge in anywhere you feel comfortable. To borrow Gordon Wells' line, "it works for me."

Luv Kaz
  • Don't forget The Encore Award if you have a second novel published.
  • I sat down last night and managed to bash out the first few sentences.  I didn't think they were too bad either.

I think a little part of me (as a crime writer) is thinking, "Jesus Christ, not only are you imagining what it would be like to commit a double murder, you are now actually writing it down?.