Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

writers block and plot structure

edited September 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• hi has anyone got any ideas as how to overcome this obstacle, only I have the ideas its just that when I want to put them on paper words tend to elude me so I tend to get stuck.

The other problem is my plot structure I can't seem to marry up one idea with another so instead I just have a lot of scenes that are unconnected without any way of marrying them up.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
                       Phil
  • When words elude me (and they often do - there must be a great pile of them somewhere) I just stick down the nearest word I can think of and carry on writing.
    The important (and difficult) bit is to get those first words, however rough, down on paper. You can always go back and change them later.
  • Always useful to try the Search box.
    Have a look at Re: Writers block- that old chestnut!- Betsie 11.8.07
    and
    Inception and development of story ideas. Dorothy 30.7.07
    They may help.
  • One useful advice I picked up from a writers' conference last year was a series of questions to help with plot (and even writing a synopsis):

1. Whose story is it?
    2. What does he/she want?
    3. Who/what is stopping him/her from getting it?
    4. How does he/she get it?

With the current book I'm writing, and the ones I plan to write (this is a series), I know grossly what I want to happen.  Sometimes it could just be a theme.  Like book two will be about the quest to find a mythical object to prevent the downfall of an empire, book three will be about dragons, book four will be about the dwarves, etc.  I am not one of those writers who can sit down and meticulously write a chapter by chapter breakdown of events before they even start the book.  Like you, I have some major scenes in my head, which then need to be linked up somehow: this normally comes to me when I'm actually writing the scene.  The best thing to do is just to start writing.  Don't try to make it publication perfect from the start, otherwise you will spend days agonising over every word.  The first draft is just that.  A draft. It's subject to change and improvement.  Start with any scene, if you can't start from the beginning.  You can link things up after.  This is the way some writers work.  And also, you don't have to have all the scenes and answers from the start.  Your story and your characters will grow and probably do things you never expected them to.  Go with the flow. 

As for writer's block, my personal experience of it is when I get too close to my work and can't see the wood for the trees.  It normally means I need to take a break from it.  Many writers say you should just write something. Anything.  Doesn't matter if it's complete rubbish, as you'll be able to get back to it the next day and improve on it.  Doesn't matter if you decide to delete the entire scene! (I know, easier said than done.  It does feel like someone's asking you to cut off your arm.  Unfortunately, it needs to be done at times!)

When, those are my suggestions, from my limited experience.  I'm sure the others will have a lot to say. 

Good luck!   
  • I don't know whether you write by hand or directly onto your computer. If it is the latter, someone once gave me a tip for writer's block and it actually worked. On the computer, switch over to white lettering instead of the usual black - invisible, so to speak, and just write anything that comes to mind. Don't even think - not about grammar, spelling or anything else. Not even what you want to say. Just type blind. Even if it is pure unadulterated rubbsh. After the first few words/sentences, the flow gets going. Then you can switch over to visible writing. You might have a good laugh to see what you wrote in the invisible mode. I know I did - never thought I could make so many typos! Or write such incoherent rubbish. But it did get me going and from the rubbish grew worthwhile pages (to me at least).
    Obviously this can only work if you write straight onto the computer. Hardly possible to write invisibly by hand! Unless you are a spy or still at school! :)
  • I write directly on to the PC. When WB kicks in I sit somewhere else, such as the garden (weather depending) and write with pen and paper. Funny when I log in here I never seem to suffer WB and sometimes wish I did. Another tack I use is to simply read.
  • Got this somewhere years ago and have found it very useful - it might help you:

1 Start by putting your protagonist in trouble (this can be by accident, coincidence, or whatever)

2 Your protagonist tries to get out of trouble, which leads to more, worse trouble. (From now there are no accidents, coincidences, etc., and he/she is proactive rather than reactive.)

3 As 2, with the trouble being even worse.

4, 5, 6, 7+ As 3.

Whatever number suits: At the moment of the worst trouble of all, the protagonist acts successfully to get himself out of it, though not necessarily remaining unscathed.

Followed by resolution, which doesn't necessarily tie everything up neatly, but does take account of everything.

Hope I've left nothing out of the formula. And it is a formula, but you are supposed to use your skills at description, character-drawing and so on to impose your own unique story on the formula.
  • okay thanks I think I am going to do the last two ideas togeather particular as spend most time outside.
                            Phil.