Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

naming difficulties for places

edited September 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi I wonder if you can help solve my little problem. I need a name for company to replace the one that I am going to use in the rough draft.

The name which I am going to use first of all is 'The National Security Council' or the NSC if you prefer. I would like to change it to something else though this time.
    Can you help me ?.

Here are a few facts about the company for you to consider.

1. The company itself is based in brussels, belgium.

2.The company is owned by the government and has multi-national status and I also would like it to have something to do with national security.

3.The Time the story is set in is the 'Near future'

Phil.
  • Try word association with those ideas.
    Then when you think of possibilities, Google them to see if they already exist in any form- they could still be around in the near future.
  • Many Belgian companies have b.v. after them (like our Ltd).

Also, you could give your company name a specific flavour, depending on whether it is more French or Dutch, as Belgium is a melting pot of north eurpoean cultures.
  • In your story, is this company a) feared? b) a national joke c) respected by the peolpe or people if you like ?
    The name you give it needs to reflect its quality, or the opposite, as the last contributor suggested.
    Acronyms are fine, but the word order would be different in French or Walloon/Belgian - even if you know, your readers might not. You could just use an English acronym, eg BIGNET Belgium Intl Gov Network.
  • Or SIGNET (security intl govnet)

sounds too much like a spy ring!
  • Okay thanks I think I will just write or type  my first draft out first of all and go from there.
                          Thanks
                          Phil.