Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Cornerstones?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Are you presuming that we are all unpublished?

And this 'lady' on the forum isn't bothered whether you are happy with her comments or not.

She is very much less happy with the way you are talking about women in general.
    OMG Liz, I thought you were a male writer with a women's name, I saw your frog profile and have been looking for a girl to give the frog a kiss so it could turn you back into a prince. But now it looks like I am just going to have to live with the fact you are just our Liz with the annoying profile pic.
    ;))
  • I love my frog.
  • Liz, I have always known that:
    a) you are a lady;
    b) you are a very well-known, published poet;
    c) there are no gentlemen out there called 'Liz'... as far as I know.
  • Liz, I am going to look for a Lilly pad for you to settle down on. Then you might get some rest from all the jumping about.

• Thank you Nell, But I don't think this is an attack on my sex or accomplishments. I think this is all about the vitality of my frog. Who will remain undaunted.
  • Keep on hoppin', Liz.
  • edited December 2014
    Happy Author's suggestion is excellent.
    So, come one, Machinehurt - give us a sample of your work. I'm confident you'll receive honest and informed critiques, from male AND female writers.
  • Yes . . . I'm back again . . . can't keep away from this thread.
    Well Machinehurt, would you like to share your work? we are eager to give you an honest opinion on your writing as an author and not as a forum member.

• Balasz, you're asking about Writing Magazine's own critique service? (Which, just to be clear, is not one under discussion here and which machinehurt has no knowledge of.)
    More details here: https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Home-Study/Full-Manuscript-Critique/ and you can try it out for £49 for up to 9,000 words: https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Home-Study/Critique-Service/39/Mini_Critique/
    Thanks Webbo,
    I don't know if that's the one, I guess it is. Nefertari mentioned it above. I might give it a go as £49 is not too much.
  • I'll read it for you - I don't have a willy but I can walk like a man, apparently.
  • I think he's bashful.
  • Well I'm grumpy.
  • I'm sneezy, still :(
  • I think he's bashful.
    Just when we nearly broke him into submission, along comes Snailmale waving the truth banner in the air, we are going to club together and send you for lessons on diplomacy and delegating SM. Well maybe not as it does witter the delusional ones and bring them down to earth.

:-B
  • Thanks for your further comments. I have nothing that I'd like critiqued at the moment, but that's a nice thought - Happy Author.

Sorry, I've offended you, Liz. But as a male writer, we feel a little over dominated by the presence of women in the industry (does that sound sexual !) and I'd like to see alot more male writing coming forward.

I quickly learnt to trust FRUSTRATED WRITERS, and I have to say that their comments were a darn sight more professional than the assessors were, at that time. I sent in three chapters of something I WASN'T sure about and they DIDN'T like it - so they weren't always going to "slap my back".

I ask tongue-in-cheek - "if crap writers are unpublished writers -then why do we need literary assessors ?"

I'd like to bow gracefully out of this thread,now - if I may. Thank you all for a lively heated debate - what forums are all about. I'll happily help on other threads now and again.

Thank you for bringing me up to date about the fact that literary assessors are still in business - and this time CAN provide you with the help you want.
    I hope many of you who want to still use these people do so, and I hope they continue to provide the help you seek - though I'm still wary of them.

But I MUST INSIST that you visit other writing web-sites, both in UK and USA,
    and see comments for and against literary assessment - to provide a more balanced view.

BYE, BYE for now . . .

# hears faint sound of cheering, and a round of applause ! #

• Well Machinehurt, if you had posted your first post as you have your last you would have received a much warmer welcome with some very useful constructive criticism, advice ,help, and much more input. you post a bold statement that the writing industry has more women in it than men, if you knew your history you would know what a struggle women had just for equal rights let alone trying to become an author in a predominant mans world. Women have struggled for years hence the suffragette movement was founded. Here is just a small selection of well know women authors who have used male names.
    1/Louisa May Alcott: Prominent 19th century writer Louisa May Alcott began her career under the male pen name A. M. Barnard. While her most famous work, Little Women.
    2/Mary Ann Evans: More widely known by her male pen name George Eliot, Evans was a prominent author and journalist during the Victorian Era.
    3/Charlotte Bronte: As the author of Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte is one of the most celebrated female novelists in all of history. Many, however, do not realize that this quintessential English novel was originally written under a male pen name. Charlotte Bronte published her works under the name Currer Bell.
    4/Emily Bronte: Publishing under the male pen name Ellis Bell, Emily Bronte is most widely known for her only novel Wuthering Heights. She and her two sisters chose to write under masculine pseudonyms to deter any bias on the basis of their gender.
    5/Karen Blixen: More widely known by her male pen name, Isak Dinesen, Blixen was a Danish author prominent in the mid twentieth century.
    6/Amantine Lucile Aurore Dupin: Born in Paris in 1804, Dupin is known in history almost solely by her male pseudonym George Sand. Her first novel Indiana was published in 1832 under this pen name.
    7/Joanne Rowling: As author of the outrageously popular series Harry Potter, J. K. Rowling gained widespread popularity in a span of only a few years. Known almost solely as J. K. Rowling to the public, Rowling’s full name is Joanne Rowling (with no middle name). Rowling wrote the first installment of the Harry Potter phenomenon and submitted the work to her publishers under the name "Joanne Rowling". Her publishers urged her to use only initials for the publication with fear that the target audience of young boys would not read something written by a woman.

On that note think before you come on here and spout crap (SM taught me this word) as you may of personally had a hard time in getting your work accepted to your own standards. if you want a company to blow smoke up your back-passage then find one that will take your money and give you the pat on the back you think you deserve. Because as a male writer I found your post offensive to all women. :-B
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks for your further comments. I have nothing that I'd like critiqued at the moment, but that's a nice thought - Happy Author...

I ask tongue-in-cheek - "if crap writers are unpublished writers -then why do we need literary assessors ?"...

BYE, BYE for now . . .

# hears faint sound of cheering, and a round of applause ! #

~:>
    =))
  • edited December 2014
    I feel a little over dominated by the presence of women in the industry
    Fixed that for you, you're welcome!
    # hears faint sound of cheering, and a round of applause ! #=
    *Turns volume up*

• On that note think before you come on here and spout crap (SM taught me this word) . :-B
    *proud*

• Well that was an interesting read.
  • Is it? Tbh I couldn't be arsed once I'd got in here.

*skulks off*