Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What hope have we got? Apostrophes!

edited September 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Should I be filing this under "Today's Offload"? Or perhaps drag up the old "Grrr" thread?

I have just received (yet another) advertisement on the work fax for holiday offers. This one came from...wait for it...the Australian Tourism Centre, no less.

Quote:
    SPRINGS HERE!!!
    Holiday Special's Today Only

The first two sentences contain inappropriate usage of apostrophes. What hope have we got when a government body can't get their punctuation right? I am going to step out of my comfort zone and email them. Grrr.
  • Where's that proofreader?
  • What proofreader is the answer folks!
  • I've already told the college to sort out their apostrophes, and that was before I sent the first assignment in .. how to win friends and get a diploma, but tutors comments ...
  • TP is the expert proof-reader.  I took the Chapterhouse course and, whilst doing it, realised that I tend to naturally proof-read ANYthing I'm reading.  Ah.  This means I spot the slightest mistakes in any work.  But it is usually obvious when something is a typo or whether it is a vile punctuation/spelling/grammar faux pas.  I have to watch my own grammar. 

But, yes, IG, misused and abused apostrophes get my goat, too.  Send that email and save the poor blighters from further mistreatment :O)
  • Actually that could be grammatically correct. If they have a special offer on discounted bed springs, and it's the only offer of the day, then the sign makes perfect sense... I now have visions of a tourist office stuffed with thousands of discounted springs...
  • Perhaps they are Hot Springs. It's like an electric blanket's answer to under-floor heating. If you get what I mean. The second sentence may also be correct, and actually says "Holiday Special Is Today Only". Give the guys some credit. (They probably do take all major credit (cards)).
  • I think that the apostrophe to indicate missing letter/s [Sprng's here] is over used. 'don't' 'it's' 'doesn't' {why doesn't 'cant' [cannot] have one?} They're ok, but when used instead of he has [he's] and Spring's here - I find irritating.
    'Isn't' eg - it is difficult to think of an instance when the word 'not' is unimportant - it is much more assertive and stronger to say 'it is not the case...' etc. It is also better to say 'it is' than 'it's.
  • Won't is a strange word
  • 'Ain't' is a useful little word. It can be: has not, have not, is not or are not!
  • On Sky News yesterday the headline was about Kate McCann - 'friends of the McCann's' - friends of the McCann's what?

It's a disgrace, and I know there are people who say it doesn't matter in this day and age.  I'm sorry, but it does.

Don't even get me started.
  • Not only are the creators of that text illiterate with regard to the use of apostrophes, but it's also a useful demonstration of the Unnecessary Use Of Capital Letters.
    James
  • Bill, can't does have one, otherwise it is cant, a totally different word.
  • local van advertises karoke, disco, single's duos and the local burger bar is offering pizza's.
    There is no hope ...
  • English homework for my boys, find three different types of sentences, (Dane was a bit annoyed at the time) and complained he couldn't find a compound sentence- he did eventually.
  • Just like TT, I can't help proof-reading everything I see, which sometimes annoys my husband, if he's given me something to read purely for its contents; bad spelling of ordinary
    words and wrongly placed apostrophes are the worst.  Please send that email. 
  • Send it IG, I want to know if they'll dare answer, and how they'll justify it.
    (I have to admit to looking compound sentences up, and saying 'oh them.')
  • James: sorry, but as a Winnie-the-Pooh fan I have to concede that Excessive Capital Letters, when used in moderation, can be a Very Good Thing :)
  • IG my prediction of their reply to your email.

Thank you for your concern’s. We at The Government Agency’s do our Very Best to proofread all our Correspondence. We will take up the matter with the Person Responsible. Meanwhile, we hope that this wont deter you from booking a SPRINGS HERE holiday with us. Best wish’s,

Miss. Low S Tandard’s
  • Excellent Josie!
  • Josie - I think IG is away at the moment - possibly on the very Springs Here holiday you mention!
  • Dear Ms IGG

I understand you wasn't satisphied with the letter what you got from our Miss Low S.Tandard's who is no longer an employed of our company oweing to her poor comand of english speeling and grammer

I am her superviser, Mr Evan Werss, and I would like to ashure you that the rest of us what work here are exellent in every waye.

Do hesitate to get in tough with me if our companey gives you any ferther cause for compliant

yours fitfully

EW