Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

It doesn't work.

Comments

• Further to our long drawn-out discussions in May of this year when we (as a friendly combined force) decided to ignore flamers and/or threads that overstepped the bounds of this welcoming forum...Do you kind of get the feeling it was an exercise in futility? Carol was one of the first to use the code ten days after we came up with it. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now.
  • I realised that and have been boycotting one thread for some days now. It's the only way, I think, boycott that which bothers me.
  • But Webbo does. Onya Webstar! ;-)
  • It might help if we knew the code.

I reckon we're all just a little bit too curious for our own good at times...not wanting to single myself out in any way : )
  • What code was that? (I assume you are talking about the TS thread).
  • By the way, I didn't mean Webbo bothers me, I meant that he works. Hehehe. DorothyD's reply came in too quick for my typing fingers.

IK, the word is DOUSE. I refrained from commenting on a certain thread because it had all the hallmarks of the exact thing we try to avoid on this friendly forum. Unfortunately not all things go according to plan. Newcomers not knowing the code word was one such problem we discussed back in May...but hey, it was worth a try.  Cheers -IG
  • Hey, I wondered what DOUSE meant! P.S. I'm not trying to kill off this thread!!
  • Why not mention the code to newcomers when they first post, as part of the greetings?
  • Hehehe. Hardly a lovely welcome. "Hello...and by the way, if you get really offended by someone on here..."

We actually hoped sense would prevail and that we'd never to have to use it, Richt. Anyway, enough said. Let's get back to what we do best and put this behind us.
  • IG - I thought DOUSE sounded vaguely familiar but admit I'd forgotten its intention.

Do you think Webbo would prefer to be known as Webstar?!!
  • IG - sense rarely prevails in threads like that - people get angry and just can't resist posting.
    Good to know that Webbo is lurking in the background and can pull the plug when necessary.
  • Well I think Webbo would be unhappy if he felt anyone was being deliberately targeted for exclusion.
    But I think we should be polite generally, but by not contributing make it clear when something is offensive in some way.
    It's impractical to let every newbie know the code.
  • I do agree that it would be impractical to tell all newbies the code as then everyone, including the offender, knows what it means.  Wouldn't that just draw the pest's attention to the fact that he/she is being excluded and perhaps lead to even more problems?

I imagine that Webbo probably has a good deal of experience in this area and I don't think that he/she would be unhappy at an individual being singled out if that individual was causing distress or concern to a number of other Talkbackers.  Perhaps pointing out to newbies that they can contact Webbo if they have any concerns would be a better idea - I'm sure that such contact would be kept confidential by Webbo, who could interpret the rules as he/she saw fit and act accordingly in an unbiased way. 
  • Thanks for explaining what DOUSE meant - it was driving me nuts!
  • Yes DOUSE has had me scratching my head all day. Glad to have it cleared up.
  • Poppy has made a very practical suggestion, which would work for everyone.
    We already know that if a serious problem is brought to Webbo's attention it will be dealt with quietly and appropriately.
  • I'm glad you think my suggestion might work, Carol.  If other Talkbackers agree, maybe we could come up with some non-scarey words which the first Talkbacker to welcome a newbie could use to point them towards Webbo, should the need arise.  We don't, after all, want every Talkbacker to issue this info simultaneously - newbies would be frightened to death and think they'd got mixed up with a load of cranks!  What do others think?
  • I'm confused. 0_0
  • maybe it is possible to be a bit too sensitive and fragile. One hopes any upsetting remarks are just misunderstandings? I have in my time been insulted by experts it was known as basic training. At least you have the satisfaction of knowing that anyone who sets out to delibrately upset anyone else is hardly likely to write anything worth reading
  • Sorry, NC - Have I caused the confusion?  Please say if my message is garbled!  I know what I mean, but will try again if I've not made it clear.
    :) (ingratiating smile from a not very experienced writer!)