Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

where to submit

Comments

• I have a wonderful idea (well I think it is) for an article about our local docks here in the Forest of Dean. The docks have recently been refurbished and are now open to the public as a tourist attraction. The problem I have is where to submit the proposed outline for the article. Our local paper doesn't pay for articles. I am enrolled on a creative writing course with the writers bureau and feel that I could use this article for the travel module. All my tutor says is keep looking through the magazines. Any suggestions?
  • Hi there. Just a thought - your local Tourist Board / local council etc may have a magazine to encourage tourism in the area. They might be interested, though I don't know whether such publications pay for articles or not. Also, do you have a county magazine at all? Here in Kent (and in many other counties) there's a monthly lifestyle glossy called 'Kent Life' - have you got something similar in your area? Good luck!
  • Hi Rachel, welcome to Talkback.
    Do you have a commercial county magazine? We have a glossy called (something like) Nottingham/shire Now that is available in newsagents; Essex does something similar.
    If there is a county interest magazine around that way, they might be interested, as it would also give the magazine a spot for potential advertising revenue.
  • Thanks. I'm off to Gloucester in a while. I'll have a look in WHS
  • Snap! (Katy and I were both composing the same thought around the same time.)
  • Hi, Rachel. Don't forget to look in your library, too.
  • Perhaps you should think beyond the immediate local area. It is likely that local people already know about it. Why not try a national magazine that likes general interest, historical or travel pieces. The Lady is one suggestion. Or angle your piece for an older readership by throwing in some nostalgia and try an over-50s magazine like Active Life, Saga or Yours.
  • Docks in th Forest of Dean? Interesting. How about 'Country Life'?
  • Try Country Quest, they do border counties as well as Wales.  But firstly, this is such a good subject material so I would try The Lady take some photos too. Then you have the Glos. county mag  Write a few lines to all of them on the idea-to both of them and see what comes of it.  good luck. You are onto a winner here.