Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Get your book read

Comments

• i am an avid library user I reckon I borrow about £300 of books each month. From obsevation never allow your book to printed more than 9" tall, it won't fit on the shelves and will be laid down on the bottom shelf where nobody looks. Use a nom de plume beginning with letters C to F, bowsers never concentrate on the first block of books but often find something on the next two or three bays. Avoid a nom de plume starting wth a letter after T, the end shelves were often not on the plan and finish up in an odd corner. ...................Just a thought
  • Now that is an interesting observation CH.
  • Surely to get your book stocked in a library you have to have proven yourself with sales first before the library will even consider you?.

Oh yes, a little retail psychology to add to CH's observation.  You need a shelf that is at eye level, lower shelving is scanned quicker when it has to be stooped to be seen.
  • Of course you are right Sterling but the number of authors appearing in our main library is breathtaking. Many of the books on the shelves must be from quite small print runs and the authors will not be well known. Many library users have a few writers they look for but they browse as well. The browser as you say is much more likely to pick  book from  a shelf at eye level. Our lbrary also has some near verical displays and show table which show the book off to great advantage and the chosen few to get these privileged places are determned by the whim of the staff.
  • You can always make the gesture of presenting a copy/ copies of your book to your local libraries - that is what I intend to do when my book comes out. I'm sure they'd be grateful.
  • We have a display table, but it is low and not in a prominent place, and honestly I'm usually the only person who goes and takes a look.

I believe POD books aren't stocked by libraries, maybe Jay would know better on that score.

But I'm sure if you present a library with a free copy they will be pleased, especially if it's a local author.
  • Here I am! Sorry it's taken me so long to read this thread. There's no problem with print-on-demand books being stocked - after all, the library, unlike bookshops, has no intention of returning the book to the publisher if no one borrows/buys it.

My books, which are all print-on-demand, are stocked in several libraries, and I receive PLR on them - a payment based on an extremely complicated calculation as to how many times they've been borrowed. (For the year ended 30th June 2006, they estimated that The Loss of Innocence was borrowed 119 times; and, with the loans of other books, I received the princely sum of £15.25.)

I e-mailed major branches (there's a site for UK libraries

http://www.branching-out.net/branching-out/page2.asp?idno=497

might be the one) with details of my books, and some purchased copies. When I sent them details of a newly published book, however, I received few replies. I think a lot of libraries nowadays are short of cash for new stock.

So if you'd prefer to borrow one of my books, ask your library if they can get it for you. Please!
  • Here's something about the surnames of writers. I'll see if I can find any other threads.
  • Thanks Jay